Having an issue with share dobject files.

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
DOMINOSRULZ
Prole

Having an issue with share dobject files.

Post by DOMINOSRULZ »

Hello,

I am working on a simple Love2D game, and I am using a library called tove. It implements SVG graphics for Love2D. However, when I try to run the game after converting everything into a love file, I get an error saying the I cannot open the shared object file, because it is not a directory.

I have already tried doing some techniques with love.filesystem, but to no avail. I am at my wits end. I have attached my love file, and image of the error so someone can figure out why it's spitting at me.

I will also link the library I used: https://poke1024.github.io/tove2d/tutor ... stallation
Attachments
bot_touchscreen_demo.love
My love file
(2.45 MiB) Downloaded 143 times
Image of error
Image of error
Screenshot from 2022-03-12 15-53-59.png (30.46 KiB) Viewed 5455 times
zorg
Party member

Re: Having an issue with share dobject files.

Post by zorg »

so and dll files can't be included from inside the .love file; either copy them over to the save directory, and load them from there, or if you package your project (into an exe), you can also mount the sourceBaseDirectory, where said exe file is, and have the so/dll file next to them; i believe that might work too; in any case, the first solution's probably simpler.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
DOMINOSRULZ
Prole

Post by DOMINOSRULZ »

Is there a psuedocode or code example you could give? I have actually tried doing the first solution, but to no avail.
ReFreezed
Party member

Post by ReFreezed »

Something like this:

Code: Select all

local contents = love.filesystem.read("thefile.so") -- Read from the .love file.
love.filesystem.write("thecopy.so", contents) -- Write to save directory.
local library = require("thecopy") -- Will try to load the module from the save directory, among other places.
Tools: Hot Particles, LuaPreprocess, InputField, (more) Games: Momento Temporis
"If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."
DOMINOSRULZ
Prole

Post by DOMINOSRULZ »

I tried to do that, but still gives me errors:

I did it like this:

Before love.load()

local c = love.filesystem.read('tove/libTove.so')
local c2 = love.filesystem.read('tove/libTove.dll')
local c3 = love.filesystem.read('tove/libTove.dylib')
local c4 = love.filesystem.read('tove/init.lua')
love.filesystem.write('lib.so',c)
love.filesystem.write('lib.dll',c2)
love.filesystem.write('lib.dylib',c3)
love.filesystem.write('startTove.lua',c4)
local tove = require('startTove') -- Local variable to get the tove folder to implement the aforementioned svg library.
In love.load():

love.filesystem.setIdentity('writeDir')
Honestly, maybe the problem might be with the init,lua of the library I am using. The error mentions line 586 of init.lua, and it's this:

libPath = love.filesystem.getSource() .. "/tove/" .. libName[love.system.getOS()] -- line 586
local lib = ffi.load(libPath) -- line 587
ReFreezed
Party member

Post by ReFreezed »

Oh, yeah. That explains things. :d It looks like libTove.so isn't a Lua module, just a normal dynamic library, so that init.lua file is using ffi.load to load it instead of require(). Anyway, changing libPath to the correct path ought to solve the problem (i.e. point to love.filesystem.getSaveDirectory()).

Also, you could leave the init.lua file in the .love file together with all other Lua files. It's only the binary library file that needs to be its own file so the OS knows what's going on.
Tools: Hot Particles, LuaPreprocess, InputField, (more) Games: Momento Temporis
"If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."
DOMINOSRULZ
Prole

Post by DOMINOSRULZ »

Thanks! I have fixed the issue at hand, and everything is working perfectly.

i have a question. I am thinking about porting the game over to the 3DS using the lovebrew tool: https://lovebrew.org/#/

I assume that the .so shard object files will be a significant issue in the process. Is there a way to remedy this, by recompiling the source library to be compatible with the 3DS's ARM chips, or is there something more to be done?