LÖVELINESS a LÖVE Chrome Extension

Discuss any ports of LÖVE to different platforms.
binji
Prole

Re: LÖVELINESS a LÖVE Chrome Extension

Post by binji »

easy82 wrote: - I did not have to turn on that Native flag.
It looks like this is only broken in Chrome Beta+ ... I'm following up on a Chrome bug so this doesn't break when Chrome rolls over. :D
easy82 wrote: - Sinescroller example is laggier than the original, at least here.
- Ortho Robot was a little bit slower
I just pushed a new version (0.1.1) to the Chrome Web Store to fix this. Runs at 60fps on my machine now, give it a shot!
[[LÖVE Chrome Extension]]
LÖVELINESS
Examples page
Github project page
easy82
Party member

Post by easy82 »

binji wrote:
easy82 wrote: - I did not have to turn on that Native flag.
It looks like this is only broken in Chrome Beta+ ... I'm following up on a Chrome bug so this doesn't break when Chrome rolls over. :D
easy82 wrote: - Sinescroller example is laggier than the original, at least here.
- Ortho Robot was a little bit slower
I just pushed a new version (0.1.1) to the Chrome Web Store to fix this. Runs at 60fps on my machine now, give it a shot!
I've tested it on Chrome, I had to restart it to update the player. Now all the examples work flawlessly, great job! :D

I wanted to try the player out on Chromium 25.0.1364.160 built on Ubuntu 12.04, but while it installed all right, it does not play .love files. Instead it downloads them. I've even turned on native flag on, but no avail. Maybe it's something related to the fact Chromium is not Chrome?

Minor issues: Particles example, IYFCT and Ortho Robot fails on exit with this error message: Unknown event 'q'. NO-game and Mari0 freezes on exit.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

easy82 wrote:Particles example, IYFCT and Ortho Robot fails on exit with this error message: Unknown event 'q'.
Those were written for 0.7.x. love.event.push("q") was changed to love.event.push("quit") for 0.8.0, but those love programs haven't been updated fully for it.
binji
Prole

Post by binji »

easy82 wrote: I wanted to try the player out on Chromium 25.0.1364.160 built on Ubuntu 12.04, but while it installed all right, it does not play .love files. Instead it downloads them. I've even turned on native flag on, but no avail. Maybe it's something related to the fact Chromium is not Chrome?
I don't think so, I test with a version of Chromium that I've built myself. And Chromium is basically the same as Chrome, just missing a few plugins + branding.

My guess is that something I use in the extension isn't supported in older versions of Chrome. Anyway, Chrome 26 is the stable version so you should be using that if you can. Anything older than that is no longer supported by the Chrome team, so could have security issues, etc.

BTW, if it's not too much to ask, could you file bugs on github? That will keep bugs from slipping through the cracks. :)

Also -- don't forget to try random web links, those should work too! For example, I often tested against links on ludumdare or the love2d forums... if they don't, I'd like to know about it. A lot of websites do weird redirects to download files which tricks my extension...

Thanks!
LÖVELINESS
Examples page
Github project page
xXxMoNkEyMaNxXx
Party member

Post by xXxMoNkEyMaNxXx »

Awesome! My only concern is that scrolling doesn't work. My Window handler opens and runs, but it's not much without the pixel effects for the Mandelbrot explorer & Grapher. How difficult would it be to do that? I know there are things like WebGL that could be used, but I have never figured out straight GPU harvesting myself :/
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

xXxMoNkEyMaNxXx wrote:Awesome! My only concern is that scrolling doesn't work. My Window handler opens and runs, but it's not much without the pixel effects for the Mandelbrot explorer & Grapher. How difficult would it be to do that? I know there are things like WebGL that could be used, but I have never figured out straight GPU harvesting myself :/
It's already using your GPU (via OpenGL ES 2.0). Many PixelEffects will work without any modification, but you might have to change some things to get everything to work, due to the issues talked about on earlier pages in this thread and on the löveliness website.
Last edited by slime on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
binji
Prole

Post by binji »

xXxMoNkEyMaNxXx wrote:Awesome! My only concern is that scrolling doesn't work.
Do you mean mousewheel scrolling? Turns out I just added that to v0.1.2... :ultraglee:

If not then ignore me, carry on...
LÖVELINESS
Examples page
Github project page
xXxMoNkEyMaNxXx
Party member

Post by xXxMoNkEyMaNxXx »

It works! Wait... it's scrolling backwards from regular love :rofl:

It makes alot more sense to me to do it the way you're doing it; you know, up being up and down being down...

Also: is it possible to run it straight from files on my computer? I have the feeling that I missed this somewhere and it's utterly obvious.
binji
Prole

Post by binji »

xXxMoNkEyMaNxXx wrote:It works! Wait... it's scrolling backwards from regular love :rofl:
D'oh! That's what I get for pushing changes quickly. :cry:
I just pushed v0.1.3, that should fix it. :P
xXxMoNkEyMaNxXx wrote:Also: is it possible to run it straight from files on my computer? I have the feeling that I missed this somewhere and it's utterly obvious.
Not easily, no. I have been testing by running a python local server:
$ cd /location/where/my/love/is
$ python -m SimpleHTTPServer 5103

In Chrome, navigate to "localhost:5103"
Click the link to "my_awesome_game.love"

But this is a pretty crappy solution. I've been thinking about adding a drag and drop target to the extension... shouldn't be too hard, I think. :)
LÖVELINESS
Examples page
Github project page
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Wow, this is really neat! Will check it out as soon as I have the opportunity.

Just one question, how big is the difference between NaCl and WebGL for Löve in terms of performance and features?