My first game! :DDDD (WIP) Feedback please :)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
richapple
Citizen

Re: My first game! :DDDD (WIP) Feedback please :)

Post by richapple »

Good game! Like the sounds but staring at the backgroud gives me a headache

Actually I posted to say topic count trips
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I only like to fullscreen games and apps if they don't change the resolution of my display. If there's an option, I will always set it to native size. My screens native resolution is 1440x900. That's what I want my games to run at. Which is why I'm developing my own system for making sure my projects will support the right resolution and still let the game be windowed. It will never try to change the display output resolution. Instead the game has its own width and height for drawing, and the framework uses love.graphics.translate() and love.graphics.scale() to resize it.

I don't like changing the resolution because if you change a users resolution, you really should implement a delayed "Can you still see this? Yes/No" dialog that will revert to the previous resolution if the user doesn't click Yes. (With No being the default option to prevent accidentally locking the user into something they don't support. I accidentally set my PS2's output setting to something my TV couldn't handle once and accidentally knocked it into confirmation mode and couldn't get back to video that worked anymore for a long time. I had to follow a BLIND walkthrough of buttons and directions to press in order to change it back because I wasn't the only person who had ever done it.) So always make sure your user can support what you want to output. Especially if you're going to have a really high resolution.
onedaysnotice
Citizen

Post by onedaysnotice »

Qcode wrote:Any chance of a toggle sound feature? I really like it, it's very high quality for a first game. The bullet collision looks a bit dodgy, I should have died a long time before I did, though that was nice in tight places. But, like I said, great quality for your first game. Looking forward to seeing more work from you!
I might add a sound toggle feature later, but the project is due tomorrow and I've got tons of exams coming up so it'll probably be a while Dx Oh I should have added that collision radius of the player is only 2 pixel radius. For typical bullet hell shooters, you only have a 1 pixel collision circle. But mine is considerably slower so I decided to make 2px radius, so 4px diameter collision circle rather than 1px diameter :). And thanks for your compliments, I really appreciate it. Although a lot of the credit should go to Santos, who greatly helped me understand how OOP works in Lua, and Robin, who also helped me understand other concepts and also helped me debug my program :D

Anyways, when after I graduate and finally get to properly learn lua, the first three games i plan on making are: a game similar to this but much better quality, a platformer with puzzle elements, and a 2d fighter based on Baka to Test (an anime), so look forward to it! :D
richapple wrote:Good game! Like the sounds but staring at the backgroud gives me a headache

Actually I posted to say topic count trips
it made me dizzy too at first xD but me and friends got used to it after a while xD
Jasoco wrote:I only like to fullscreen games and apps if they don't change the resolution of my display. If there's an option, I will always set it to native size. My screens native resolution is 1440x900. That's what I want my games to run at. Which is why I'm developing my own system for making sure my projects will support the right resolution and still let the game be windowed. It will never try to change the display output resolution. Instead the game has its own width and height for drawing, and the framework uses love.graphics.translate() and love.graphics.scale() to resize it.

I don't like changing the resolution because if you change a users resolution, you really should implement a delayed "Can you still see this? Yes/No" dialog that will revert to the previous resolution if the user doesn't click Yes. (With No being the default option to prevent accidentally locking the user into something they don't support. I accidentally set my PS2's output setting to something my TV couldn't handle once and accidentally knocked it into confirmation mode and couldn't get back to video that worked anymore for a long time. I had to follow a BLIND walkthrough of buttons and directions to press in order to change it back because I wasn't the only person who had ever done it.) So always make sure your user can support what you want to output. Especially if you're going to have a really high resolution.
Thanks for the tips :D I've never had to face that situation, but I can imagine how frustrating that would be :s

How far is your system from completion? I'd really like to try it :D I tried making my own system for supporting different resolutions as well before when I was still trying to make a 2D fighter for this project. I got as far as "I could add a scale for everything I draw :D" and then after thinking about it, I was like, "Okay, then what?" xD After that I never tried to fiddle with resolutions xD