Journey to the Center of Hawkthorne [v0.1.0]

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
qaisjp
Party member

Re: Journey to the Center of Hawkthorne

Post by qaisjp »

This. Game. Is. Uber. Cool.

I really like your implementation of the error reporting.
I love it.
Lua is not an acronym.
conroy
Prole

Re: Journey to the Center of Hawkthorne [v0.1.0]

Post by conroy »

That's right everyone, it's time for a new release. And did you see that version number? Welcome to v0.1. This release includes a feature I've wanted for a really long time, automatic updating. We've had if for some time in the Mac version, but it never really worked right. Today, everyone get's it. This way, the game will automatically update when there are changes to be downloaded. We can now push out releases at a much faster rate. Also, we've made it easier to push out bug fixes, so you won't have to wait a week while your game continues to crash.

I know that updates have been in short supply, but that will be changing. The devs are back in action! To celebrate, we've also updated our Twitter account! Follow @hawkthornegame for the latest updates.

If anyone is interested in adding automatic updates to your game, just comment and we'll see what we can do.
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

conroy wrote:That's right everyone, it's time for a new release. And did you see that version number? Welcome to v0.1. This release includes a feature I've wanted for a really long time, automatic updating. We've had if for some time in the Mac version, but it never really worked right. Today, everyone get's it. This way, the game will automatically update when there are changes to be downloaded. We can now push out releases at a much faster rate. Also, we've made it easier to push out bug fixes, so you won't have to wait a week while your game continues to crash.

I know that updates have been in short supply, but that will be changing. The devs are back in action! To celebrate, we've also updated our Twitter account! Follow @hawkthornegame for the latest updates.

If anyone is interested in adding automatic updates to your game, just comment and we'll see what we can do.
How did you add automatic updating? I've seen two games so far do this.
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
conroy
Prole

Post by conroy »

Auto updating works on Windows and Mac (not Linux yet, but that's just because I haven't gotten around to it). On Mac, I use LuaSocket to read a JSON file that lists the latest releases. If the version on the client is older, I download the latest zip, unzip the app, overwrite the current app, and restart the game. On Windows, which lacks built in zip, I check the same JSON file, download the new files (three dlls and one .exe), move the running exe and dlls, replace them with the new files, and restart. On restart, the app checks for the old files and removes them. Tada!