Arcane Duel

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Username
Citizen

Arcane Duel

Post by Username »

Last released version: 1.12

Download .love here: https://app.box.com/s/bafxcrksxsc7hhdknwed
Sorry, forum says "board attachment quota has been reached".

Victory is achieved by reaching 0 health or 0 cards in deck
List of cards in the bottom.

Keyboard bindings
[ESC] - exits app
[D] - starts new game
[P] - Toggles development mode (shows enemy cards, output lots of messages to console, shows normal mouse and its coordinates, etc...)
[F12] - Toggle fulscreen mode. Keeps same game resolution (800x480)
[SPACEBAR] - pass turn when you can'tplay any card.
[T] - Outputs your deck to console. Shows cards in the order they are gonna be drawn. NEEDS DEVEL MODE = ON

What is new in v0.12
- Some simple particle effects and other graphical effects and animations
- Added a lot of cards
- Improved AI
- Added way better card tooltips
- Energy: some cards require energy to cast. You get 2 energy automatically every turn
- Custom player deck (read below)
- Better error management
- Bugfixes and other improvements

How to use a custom deck:

1.- Create a plain text file with any name.
2.- Open that file with some notepad program and write the next:

Code: Select all

playerDeck = {<cards> }
Where <cards> is a list of 40 card numbres that you want to use.
For example playerDeck = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, etc...}
You can see all cards and their number in the list below.
3.- Launch the game as follows:

Code: Select all

love ArcaneDuel.1.12.love <path_to_deck>
4.- You are done.

D1dXtf9.png
D1dXtf9.png (353.17 KiB) Viewed 482 times
znZa4Tc.png
znZa4Tc.png (355.89 KiB) Viewed 482 times
UqVAJOq.png
UqVAJOq.png (350.83 KiB) Viewed 482 times
qubiSFc.png
qubiSFc.png (402.11 KiB) Viewed 482 times
UylIBNu.png
UylIBNu.png (340.73 KiB) Viewed 482 times

Cards list. Don't try to copypaste, it is an image (forum doesn't preserve tabulations).
You can access this exact same list of cards into the .love file.
ZSUQEqF.png
ZSUQEqF.png (32.7 KiB) Viewed 482 times

Enjoy.
Last edited by Username on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:37 am, edited 7 times in total.
vitaminx
Citizen

Re: Arcane Duel

Post by vitaminx »

Hi, it's quite fun to play :)

Would be nice if hovering over the card that the CPU played would also show a description of the card.
Also to have a description of the magical stats when you hover over them would be good.

Also, the end screen (YOU LOST) doesnt allow you to see which was the last card played by the CPU.
I really would like to know what killed me :P
Username
Citizen

Post by Username »

New version released with great improvements:
- Completely new AI system based on cards playing value and actual game statuses (may need more polish)
- 9 more cards with some completely new effects.
vitaminx wrote:Hi, it's quite fun to play :)

Would be nice if hovering over the card that the CPU played would also show a description of the card.
Also to have a description of the magical stats when you hover over them would be good.

Also, the end screen (YOU LOST) doesnt allow you to see which was the last card played by the CPU.
I really would like to know what killed me :P
All done. I hope you enjoy it more now.
Username
Citizen

Post by Username »

New version released:

- GREATLY improved enemy AI. Now it should be way more clever and challenging. Still, need more testing and improvement.
- Added companions
- Added some new cards (without counting the "summon companion" spell)
- Fixed a lot of bugs
- Press F12 to toggle fullscreen.
- Added beautiful mouse cursor
- Some spell/cards rebalancing

About the AI, if you don't want to read the uncommented source code of the game, it is a non-cheating AI. This means that it doesn't know the cards in your hand, and only works based on actual game status and cards in his hand.

You can download it in the 1st post attachment.

Enjoy :D
Sodium
Prole

Post by Sodium »

Nice game, I love fast Magic-like card games.
you should consider changing the BG image, its distracting me (thanks for including the .xcf so I able to change it myself).

here's mine, just an example.
Attachments
background.png
background.png (326.59 KiB) Viewed 12293 times
Last edited by Sodium on Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love okra. :P
Username
Citizen

Post by Username »

Sodium wrote:Nice game, I love fast Magic-like card games.
you should consider changing the BG image, its distracting me (thanks for including the .xcf so I able to change it myself).
Distracting? In what sense is it distracting? Too bright? To much colors?

I appreciate that feedback, which makes the game to become better :D. Thanks
luther
Prole

Post by luther »

IMO, the background makes the player stats hard to read. You could either put a black box around the stats, or you could use a plainer background.
Plu
Inner party member

Post by Plu »

Is it just me or does the AI drop a spell in the round after you kill it? It seems I ended some games in a draw because he killed me with a spell after I already killed him just before.

Regardless, nice game. :)
SquareMan
Prole

Post by SquareMan »

I don't often browse the forums, but when I checked out the projects page today I just had to log in and say something about this.

It's a very nice new card game and is very enjoyable. I think you should add different levels of difficulty though, like easy, medium, and hard, keeping the current level around medium. Also I would like to see more cards, and maybe a way to see more about the card by just looking at it (maybe include its damage in the icon or for curses and spells have an emblem representing what it does)

Anyway, its a nice game and I enjoyed it.
Username
Citizen

Post by Username »

Sodium wrote:Nice game, I love fast Magic-like card games.

here's mine, just an example.
Nice background and card's border.

Is all that art released under CC license?

If yes, I would like to use that instead of the actual one, if you can send me the XCF file I will include in next release.

luther wrote:IMO, the background makes the player stats hard to read. You could either put a black box around the stats, or you could use a plainer background.
If Sodium allows me to use his/her background, I will include it, which is by far better.

Plu wrote:Is it just me or does the AI drop a spell in the round after you kill it? It seems I ended some games in a draw because he killed me with a spell after I already killed him just before.

Regardless, nice game. :)
That is something that is already fixed for the next release.

SquareMan wrote:I don't often browse the forums, but when I checked out the projects page today I just had to log in and say something about this.

It's a very nice new card game and is very enjoyable. I think you should add different levels of difficulty though, like easy, medium, and hard, keeping the current level around medium.
Actually, AI checks the current game status (such as poison statuses, defense, health, cards in deck, etc... but don't knows your cards in hand) and then takes the decision to play a specific card that is supposed to be the best for that situation.
I don't know really how to make the AI less clever, but I can make it more clever.
Maybe for easy skill could make the AI to choose cards slightly randomly so the card chosen may not be the most appropriate.
But as I'm improving the AI, without skills difficult, right now in the development version I later on, it is so hard that you need almost VERY good tactic to beat her. Playing a wrong card in one turn may mean your imminent death.
SquareMan wrote:Also I would like to see more cards, and maybe a way to see more about the card by just looking at it (maybe include its damage in the icon or for curses and spells have an emblem representing what it does)
You mean more cards or more type of cards?
In either case, i'm implementing both: more cards and more type of cards. Each day I create something like 4 or 5 new cards and one or two more types of cards or effects.
Next release will come with a lot of changes, such as energy/mana to play cards, cards to heal, damage, destroy and exchange companions, companions skills, schools of magic (a.k.a deadth magic, elemental magic, holy magic, etc...), cards to deal damage based on your actual energy, cards that will increase/decrease its effect based on player or enemy poison/defense/curse, a game menu, loading custom decks, AI with predefined decks, etc...

Also, putting more info in the card image won't be a problem per-se, but I'm not sure if including more info in the cards image will make the card image less visible.
SquareMan wrote:Anyway, its a nice game and I enjoyed it.