Life of Jerry 0.3.0 is out!

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
IAsep-TrixI
Citizen

Life of Jerry 0.3.0 is out!

Post by IAsep-TrixI »

My first love2D project is on the horizon and it's gonna be a platformer!
Now I'm gonna keep it simple, a slime character, pixel art, simple core mechanics, simple EVERYTHING!
I hope that I will have a great experience creating the game and at the same time will learn a lot :D

version 0.4.0 will be delayed because I will be applying tile sets and quad's into the game! don't worry Eamonn int he future I will apply a button to append
random world generation but it will have no use, just something to brag about :P

Screens! :
33ptGEy.png
33ptGEy.png (3.07 KiB) Viewed 445 times
reeDsIL.png
reeDsIL.png (2.91 KiB) Viewed 445 times
2tEBkQQ.png
2tEBkQQ.png (3.03 KiB) Viewed 445 times

Controls :

A & D keys to move
Space key to jump
Enter to shoot
ESC to exit

Things working on atm:

a story

enemies
continous terrain

platform collision

updates (newest to oldest)

0.3.0 alpha

added sound fx

added music

added scrolling

0.2.0 alpha

added character textures

fixed floor collision bugs

added jumping

added jumping character textures *char looks down*

added shooting

game was released to public

0.1.0 alpha

added square character

added floor & boundary collision

added floor textures

0.3.0:http://www.mediafire.com/?da31dc1421h90wa
Last edited by IAsep-TrixI on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:24 pm, edited 8 times in total.
An agent of the free

check out the game I'm doing with Jkash!
Eamonn
Party member

Re: Cute World

Post by Eamonn »

There isn't much I can say. It's not a bad project, but it's pretty... well... non-fun I guess. It's good, I like it, but maybe you could add spritesheet animation for the player blinking, eyes moving, etc? If by continuous terrain you mean procedurally generated terrain, when you get it added tell me! I want to have something like this!

Basically: It's a good "game". It's more of a demo. I'm excited to see where you go with it. For a first project, I can tell it will be awesome!
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
IAsep-TrixI
Citizen

Post by IAsep-TrixI »

Eamonn wrote:There isn't much I can say. It's not a bad project, but it's pretty... well... non-fun I guess. It's good, I like it, but maybe you could add spritesheet animation for the player blinking, eyes moving, etc? If by continuous terrain you mean procedurally generated terrain, when you get it added tell me! I want to have something like this!

Basically: It's a good "game". It's more of a demo. I'm excited to see where you go with it. For a first project, I can tell it will be awesome!
thanks, I was thinking of adding player blinking and moving eyes but the only way I would be able to do that was if I knew a function to do this in random intervals.
The randomly generated terrain will probably be added way in the future because I am creating this game along with my level of love experience so if I learn something new I will probably be incorporating it into the game,
and also note the game is in it's early stages I was only able to work on the basic stuff for the first 2 versions of the game, hell I can't even call it a game yet and yes I know its not fun at all but trust me in the near future it will be worth playing *I hope* :D
An agent of the free

check out the game I'm doing with Jkash!
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

If you know my game Mr. BallGuy(Google it), I want to tell you a little story about it:

It wasn't supposed to be a game. I just added things I learned. First, I learned spritesheet animation(when working on the game of course), spent about 2 days fiddling around with that, then added a background, a score counter, saving a score, and so on, and a week later I had it released. And I had only started using LÖVE less then a month(about 3 weeks I think). So, you may think it's just a small game, but just keep building what you know and you'll have a good game. Good luck with the game and with learning LÖVE. Just ask here if you get stuck on something, I'm sure someone'll be able to help.
NeozooM
Prole

Re: Life of Jerry

Post by NeozooM »

maybe you should work on the character movements and physics before going into further steps.

like , right now, you jump, and stop or back in middle of a jump like if there were no "friction" when youre on the ground compared to being in the air.
Improving controls will make your game instantly more "fun" and "challenging" even without many more content.

try to get a good core mechanic before going farther in adding graphics/animations/content maybe?

just my 2cents, i love the graphics and the slime. And i'm far from being a programmer.
Good luck, i'll check out next versions, for sure.
AtomCastDev
Prole

Post by AtomCastDev »

NeozooM wrote:maybe you should work on the character movements and physics before going into further steps.

like , right now, you jump, and stop or back in middle of a jump like if there were no "friction" when youre on the ground compared to being in the air.
Improving controls will make your game instantly more "fun" and "challenging" even without many more content.

try to get a good core mechanic before going farther in adding graphics/animations/content maybe?

just my 2cents, i love the graphics and the slime. And i'm far from being a programmer.
Good luck, i'll check out next versions, for sure.
I get what youre saying but by friction do you mean slowing down when you let go of the button?
Sharing the one world

Also check out my friend's game!
http://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43276
NeozooM
Prole

Post by NeozooM »

no by friction i mean the Player stops faster or change direction easier when on ground than when on air.
btw changing direction on ground shouldn't be instant either.

make velocity draw your Sprite, and keys increasing velocity, with two different states (air and ground) with different values. (change velocity slower when in the air, down velocity slower when no keys pressed too.)
you get the idea i guess.... i'm not good at this.

So basically when you "start" a jump, you can't get back to your original position before jumping .

ever played SuperMeatBoy ?
Check the way he moves. this game is a great exemple of how make a basic controls challenging.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

NeozooM wrote:no by friction i mean the Player stops faster or change direction easier when on ground than when on air.
btw changing direction on ground shouldn't be instant either.

make velocity draw your Sprite, and keys increasing velocity, with two different states (air and ground) with different values. (change velocity slower when in the air, down velocity slower when no keys pressed too.)
you get the idea i guess.... i'm not good at this.

So basically when you "start" a jump, you can't get back to your original position before jumping .

ever played SuperMeatBoy ?
Check the way he moves. this game is a great exemple of how make a basic controls challenging.
This is not necessarily a good idea. Controlling player avatars tends to be wildly unrealistic (especially for platformers), because that makes games less frustrating and more fun.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
NeozooM
Prole

Re: Life of Jerry 0.2.0

Post by NeozooM »

Who said "realistic" ?

i just think that being able to get back to your initial position while jumping don't give you this "different feeling"
like : "i don't touch the ground, i can't control so easily, mayday"
wich is great and makes plateformer fun to play.

There is nothing more boring than not being punished for making errors in a game.
You jumped too fast, too early ? too late?.. you lost.
That's what i tryed to say here. (sorry for my english if it's not easy to understand :o )
Eamonn
Party member

Re: Life of Jerry 0.3.0 is out!

Post by Eamonn »

I can't download 0.3.0. Mediafire deleted the file because of copyright or something :P