Simple mouse game

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
veethree
Inner party member

Simple mouse game

Post by veethree »

So this is basically the closest thing to a game i've made, And i started playing around with love just a couple days ago. But i have some experience with coding so it wasn't too hard to get started.

But yeah, The game is called Pop. And the objective is simple, It generates a dot at a random location on the screen, and you gotta hover you mouse over it, When you do your score goes up by one and the dot moves to a new location. Simple as hell. You get 15 seconds to get as high score as you can.

It's not finished yet, Sort of a work in progress. I still need to add stuff like menus, high score list and some settings probably. But feel free to try it out, and/or look though the code (It'd actually be awesome if some pro would look at the code, I'm pretty sure it's a big mess right now)

Screenshot:
(The fps and particle stuff in the sidebar will probably be removed in the final version, assuming i continue with this)

Also the controls:
P = Pause
Left mouse button: Generates more black particles (Completely useless)

-Veethree
Last edited by veethree on Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tesselode
Party member

Re: Simple mouse game

Post by Tesselode »

Nobody wants to make an account just to download a file. Try MediaFire or something.
veethree
Inner party member

Post by veethree »

Tesselode wrote:Nobody wants to make an account just to download a file. Try MediaFire or something.
you don't need to make an account, just press the big "PopGame.love" around the top of the page
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

I got 25. It's a simple game, sure, but you should be proud of how polished it is. The aesthetic is very good for a little game like this.

Anyway, as for the code. I've looked it over, and I'm impressed. It works well, doesn't having any glaring mistakes, and is pretty easy to read. My biggest suggestion would be to comment it more, especially for larger projects. Aside from that, hm... main.lua line 198 has a "else if" where you probably meant to have an "elseif", which throws off your indentation for the next few lines. Really, the way I would have written lines 196 to 201 would be simply:

Code: Select all

sound = not sound
Your indentation is also off on lines 213-214... But honestly, this is all nit-picking. You did a great job, and should be proud of yourself.

Oh, and if anyone gripes about you not coding it all OO style, just ignore them. ;)
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Could turn a very nice desktop game when polished . Till now I only didn't like was the ugly buttons (sorry but don't fit with the remain game aesthetics) and specially the very discrete positioned "reset" button ("restart" would be a better name) but this is only a first test demo and things seem very good. Couldn't for now start game as the game just over? I mean with that "reset" button displayed? It's a bit unfair that game time start counting just as we open it :D

Good work on this. BTW the pop sound is "addicting".

Future gameplay suggestions:
multiples bubbles, colored bubbles with different point values, bobbles that increase gameplay time.
Ellohir
Party member

Post by Ellohir »

I couldn't play it (PO2 user here, I saw white above white, but nice screenshot xD). My only suggestion is making the time to get to the bubble smaller every time. Something like 3/4 or 4/5 of the previous time. It would make it frenetic over time until you just can't do anything. Like the final moments of Tetris xD
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Tesselode wrote:Nobody wants to make an account just to download a file. Try MediaFire or something.
Even better, upload it to the forums as an attachment.

The game is nice and polished.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

veethree wrote: (doesn't let me put it as an attachment :/)
-Veethree
I just tried, i get "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading." Does this forum have a limit for attachments dimension?
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Oh, right. I think 10 MB was the maximum. Sorry.

DropBox is useful as well. This speedyshare thing seems one of the more obnoxious websites of its kind.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
IMP1
Prole

Post by IMP1 »

Why not link straight to the file?

http://www.speedyshare.com/file/V3Ss9/d ... pGame.Love

Like that ^

All the usefulness of obnoxious uploadery sites without any of the cons.