DISTORTION - video game

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
idramvil
Prole

DISTORTION - video game

Post by idramvil »

<!DOCTYPE html>
Last edited by idramvil on Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
josefnpat
Inner party member

Re: DISTORTION - video game

Post by josefnpat »

This is very sparce. I will paste the indie go go verbatum;

WHO ARE WE?:

Team Picklehead was founded in 2011 by 3 French students. Since then the team was in a pretty rolling state. That's me, one of the original founders, right now working in a private security branch:

"Project director - Vladimir Talai"

We had 3 years to make research and figure out where our team is going. And we decided to go Creative Common because the community deserves it! No purchases, no DLCs, no micro-transaction hassle.

You test it, you like it, you play it.

So today is the day when we are going under the spot light! Wish us luck :)

THE PROJECT:

The game will be a 2d sci-fi thriller. We are aiming at a story driven game packed with a lot of fire fight action. The adventure will take place in different settings like deserts, cities and even deep space. You will take control of a person lost in the madness of the near future world. Will you be able to survive?

So how far are we?:

Basic "engine" (based on the magnificent LÖVE engine) is complete, the story is written, every weekend is mobilized :) All we need now is some final basic gear to be able to move forward.

WHY INDIEGOGO?:

This indiegogo campaign has a double objective:

To bring you a game.
To seriously reboot the team.
As of right now, the main goal is still to bring you a nice game. Though if we reach the third stretch goal, more people will be joining us; we could hire another professional designer interested in the project for a limited time and bring you the game even faster (Anity-art [link]).

STRETCH GOALS:

€550 - basic hardware (animation, design, sound equipment) 1080p support
€980 - advanced hardware (optimal developer conditions, faster better stronger)
€3.400 - pro designer mode engaged: AAA graphics, slick animations + native linux support
€00.000 - game under 12month? but we really dont need more right now :)
Why so little you ask? Well our team is aiming to make high quality games with a minimal budget in our free time. Which eliminates all the marketing and payrolls that AAA companies do need. On top of that our game will remain free forever! We believe in the community and its choices. All we really need is time and You dear backers to enjoy our product.

TRY IT OUT:

Thats right! You can try our tech demo right now for only $0.00. (i.e. free)
Mind you that this is just some Work In Progress, though we are eager to present you something, so here's our prototype. Just click on the link below, download, unzip and run the .exe. No installation needed.
[DOWNLOAD]
Also feel free to grab our promotional poster in 720p right here:
[DOWNLOAD]

FAQ:
Q: Is your game based on "that" or "this" movie, book, etc?
A: No, it is not related in anyway, sorry ^^

Q: Are you making the engine from scratch?
A: No, thats why we put "our engine" between the quotations, in reality we are just coding on top of the LÖVE 2D engine [link]. And we LÖVE it very much!

Q: So how much will the game cost?
A: Nothing ^^ Free now, free forever.

Q: So how will you make profit?
A: From your smile! :) But seriously, Art isn't about profit, for us it's a passion.

Q: When will i receive my Wallpapers and Other?
A: You will get it all right when the game comes out. Currently there's is no final date yet but you can easily monitor the game development on our new Twitter page.

Q: Why Creative Commons?
A: Because of the community! There's a lot of very nice CC content on the web to be discovered. We want to incorporate and put it forward as much as possible. All credits respected of course!

Q: How will you handle the distribution?
A: Today the internet is a pretty fast place. If people enjoy a product they usually share it.

Q: Can i distribute your work then?
A: Sure, go ahead. You can share the link or repack it yourself. Just don't forget to include the original LÖVE files to your package.

Q: What's the final game length?
A: We are aiming at around 4h if rushed through. (tba)

Q: Does the game have only one resolution?
A: Without getting too technical; Yes, Even though our prototype is 720. The game is developed in a full HD 1080 resolution. But dont worry you will still be able to play it on smaller monitors.
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

Sorry for the double post; I don't want my questions to get lost in the wall of indie go go text.

* Are you releasing your game or the engine as Creative Commons?
* If the engine; what's the point in donating 99euro for the "original source code" if you're putting it under CC?
* if the game; what license do you plan on providing the 99euro donate level with?
* Is your engine documented? if so, do you have some you could share?
* Under your 3.400euro section, you mention "native linux support". What exactly do you mean by that? Will you be providing cross platform binaries or packages (deb/rpm/aur/etc)?

also, consider releasing a .app demo for OSX users, and a .love for the linux users so we can try your engine out!
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

Which eliminates all the marketing and payrolls that AAA companies do need.
I beg to differ, at the moment the project is very poorly displayed and it actually took me quite a while to understand anything. You need to work on you presentation of the game and maybe ask yourself if this is not too early for the public eyes.

A lot of the things that you write make no sense to me. Also, why löve 0.8 and not 0.9?

The prototype has some nice things it in, I like the impact of the bullet, and the general feel of shooting. But it is REALLY bare bones, so much that I doubt that the demo is doing you guys any good.
idramvil
Prole

Post by idramvil »

Thank you everyone for your feedback, as we are new in the game development world we do appreciate any help we can get. We will iron out every mistake or misunderstanding we can.
* Are you releasing your game or the engine as Creative Commons?
* If the engine; what's the point in donating 99euro for the "original source code" if you're putting it under CC?
* if the game; what license do you plan on providing the 99euro donate level with?
* Is your engine documented? if so, do you have some you could share?
* Under your 3.400euro section, you mention "native linux support". What exactly do you mean by that? Will you be providing cross platform binaries or packages (deb/rpm/aur/etc)?

also, consider releasing a .app demo for OSX users, and a .love for the linux users so we can try your engine out!
- This is indeed a game (not an engine, sorry if it came out the wrong way),
- and Yes we are going CC because who doesn't like free stuff? ^^
- You are also right about the 99 perk (which was deleted), it is not necessary at all.
- Linux distribution will be handled with packages, though no mac support in sight.

Also it is a great idea to post a .love file, it will be implemented ASAP ^^

[...]the project is very poorly displayed and it actually took me quite a while to understand anything.
[...]maybe ask yourself if this is not too early for the public eyes.

A lot of the things that you write make no sense to me. Also, why löve 0.8 and not 0.9?

The prototype [...] is REALLY bare bones, [...].
- Please feel free to ask us any question. We will be happy to answer them all and make corrections as we go.
- Yes, it is pretty early for the public eye though we can hardly move forward without any basic animation gear.
- Could you specify what you didnt understand or how would you present it? We will gladly make any changes.
- "why löve 0.8?" because Rubber Piggy is cute? ^^
- Indeed the demo is just a draft and has nothing more in it but Gun mechanics and basic animation. Even the resolution is pretty low, but we didnt want to go empty handed.

Again thank you all so much for your ideas!
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

I really like the feel of the game, good luck with development.
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.