STEAL - top down stealth game

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Fenrir
Party member

STEAL - top down stealth game

Post by Fenrir »

Hi guys,

Nearly one year after discovering LOVE, let me finally introduce you the game I'm working on:

STEAL is a 2D stealth game where your only weapons are planification, discretion and mobility, you play a thief which is not here to kill but to steal its target without being detected, and you’ll use your skills and equipments to achieve it by luring guards, hacking the environment and sticking to the shadows.

Twitter : https://twitter.com/stealproj

Don't hesitate if you have any questions or remarks, we're actively working on the game and we're looking for feebacks and comments! I can't post any .love right now but I hope to do it soon.

And finally a big thanks to: Matthias Richter for HUMP, Kenny Shields for Löve Frames, kikito for Tween, Taehl for Tserial and of course everybody behind LOVE.
kikito
Inner party member

Re: STEAL - top down stealth game

Post by kikito »

Wow, it looks super nice!
When I write def I mean function.
Fenrir
Party member

Post by Fenrir »

Wow, it looks super nice!
Thanks a lot! And for a bit deeper look on the work done on the project, don't hesitate to have a look on our blog:
http://steal-project.com/blog/

We'll try to update it on a regular basis, and I'll probably cover more deeply some technical aspects about LOVE.
undef
Party member

Post by undef »

This looks really nice, even though there is no sound in the video yet.
One thing I mentioned:
It seems like the character isn't exactly in the middle of the "noise-circle" he creates .

Other than that, I really like stealth games, especially if you don't have to kill anyone (even better if you musn't kill anyone), it's just a lot more challenging and creates far greater suspense.
twitter | steam | indieDB

Check out quadrant on Steam!
Fenrir
Party member

Post by Fenrir »

Yep it's totally non-lethal, we're not planning any weapons, just equipments like lures or smoke grenades for instance.
It seems like the character isn't exactly in the middle of the "noise-circle" he creates .
Well actually the noise circle is created at the position the noise was made, so as the player is still moving it appears to be behind him, it's totally normal. :)

And about the sounds and musics, it's the next big step to handle before actually having a first "complete" demo, I'll start working on it very soon.
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

Great work!

How are you creating the shadows? The look really nice, especially with the blurred edges!
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
Fenrir
Party member

Post by Fenrir »

Thanks!

For the shadows, it's all GPU based and the original article I followed is this one:
https://github.com/mattdesl/lwjgl-basic ... ct-Shadows

But I modified it a lot (mostly optimizations), and it's a bit different when handling the lights or the player line of sight, but the basis are the same (creating an occlusion map, projecting everything in a 1D texture and so on...).

When I'll find some time it's probably a topic I'll cover on the devblog.
undef
Party member

Post by undef »

Fenrir wrote:
Well actually the noise circle is created at the position the noise was made, so as the player is still moving it appears to be behind him, it's totally normal. :)
Oh yeah, of course... Stupid me^^
twitter | steam | indieDB

Check out quadrant on Steam!
vynom
Prole

Post by vynom »

Very cool! I'm a big fan of top-down perspective games such as this. I also thought it was quite awesome you have been using your own level editor for player generated levels.
IndieRetro
Citizen

Post by IndieRetro »

The lighting looks fantastic. Is there any chance you could write a blog post about how you did it? I saw your link to the tutorial, I've tried following it myself but had to much trouble porting it to lua/love :p
irc.freenode.org ##oodnet
http://exez.in/