GrandTheftLöve

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Gruni
Prole

Re: GrandTheftLöve

Post by Gruni »

Nice work dude. :) But you seriously need to work on the "camera" movement. :D After trying to run and jump from north to south of the map, I really got eye cancer... :D The camera should be "sticked" to the player-character, not to the cube the character is currently walking on. But keep codin'! It's great. :D
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

bartbes wrote:You can run the exe, just treat it like a .love, if you want, call it a .love, it will recognize it.
:ehem: didn't know that (although I could have known). Well, at least the download is a LOT smaller than the exe.
bartbes wrote:Controls are better, a little question, why is turning using the arrow keys, and walking using the w key?
Strafing goes with A and D, so I think it has something to do with that, but the sudden change was confusing indeed.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Borsty
Citizen

Post by Borsty »

Yeah sorry, should've told you that controls had changed :P
Borsty
Citizen

Post by Borsty »

Gruni wrote:Nice work dude. :) But you seriously need to work on the "camera" movement. :D After trying to run and jump from north to south of the map, I really got eye cancer... :D The camera should be "sticked" to the player-character, not to the cube the character is currently walking on. But keep codin'! It's great. :D
Alright, camera smoothly follows the player now, also got the rendering algorithm to calculate less stuff than before -> moar fps / more cpu time to do other stuff :P

Before I'm doing anything now, I'll write some kind of map format so I can get rid of this gray-in-gray random generated "arena" :P
Attachments
GrandTheftLove_Beta3.love
(231.31 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
Gruni
Prole

Post by Gruni »

Borsty wrote:Alright, camera smoothly follows the player now, also got the rendering algorithm to calculate less stuff than before -> moar fps / more cpu time to do other stuff :P

Before I'm doing anything now, I'll write some kind of map format so I can get rid of this gray-in-gray random generated "arena" :P
Yeaaah, great!
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Wow, that's actually impressive. Pseudo-3D like the original games. I assume it draws the top boxes at different offsets then draws shaded polygons between them. (Or rather in the other order) I've always wanted to try that. Not sure what I would do with it though. GTA isn't my forté, but I have always been interested in a racing game ala 3D Realms "Death Rally" which did the same thing.
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

Jasoco wrote:3D Realms "Death Rally"
<3

unfortunately http://trophy.sf.net/ , well... by comparison... it... sucks... :(
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Then maybe I should make my own Death Rally style racing game and show them how it's done. LOL

Well, maybe I should finish with my Zelda clone adventure game engine first.

But then I can make it. With LÖVE it should be pretty simple and fast.

I remember playing Death Rally all the time when I got the demo with my Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition disc. I installed a full DOS version on my MacBook in DOSBox a few months ago. It's still awesome even now.
Borsty
Citizen

Post by Borsty »

Just to keep you updated, here's a screenshot of my current work.
I've kinda finished the map loading etc, started work on a raytracer for bullets and whatnot, works nicely already :D
Also fixed some more movement stuff I wasn't happy with.
gtl_debug.jpg
gtl_debug.jpg (233.32 KiB) Viewed 5259 times
You probably won't see any updates for the next 2 weeks as I've got my exams :/
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Good luck!
Help us help you: attach a .love.