Depths of Limbo - Roguelike Shooter

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
0x72
Citizen

Re: Depths of Limbo - Roguelike Shooter

Post by 0x72 »

@weitnow I don't have a linux machine to try here but you should be able to just strip love out of the .exe - most likely the .exe file is just love.exe .. .love file of the game, I admit it's a bit hacky.

Another approach would be to use SteamCMD[1][2] to download a mac version. Mac application is just a directory so all the files are there.

[1]https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wik ... stallation
[2]http://askubuntu.com/questions/651059/h ... r-platform

@evgiz How do I submit a bug-report?
Last edited by 0x72 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weitnow
Prole

Post by weitnow »

@0x72: Aha...I diden't know this is possible...thanks for the advice, I am going to try your tip with the osx-version.

Until now I thought that you compile your source-code (the .love file) into an exe-file...kind of like you would do in c#. I diden't know that you can translate it back to a source-file. Does this mean, that if you distribute a love-game you're always giving away your source-code? I mean I don't have any problem with that...its even great because of learning purposes...but I woud guess some developper wouldn't like it?

Sorry again for my englisch...I hope it's understandable what i mean.

EDIT:
@0x72: :crazy:
Thank you very much for your advice with steamcmd and downloading the osx-version...i was able to get the game running this way under ubuntu....thank you :awesome:
evgiz
Citizen

Post by evgiz »

weitnow wrote:Does this mean, that if you distribute a love-game you're always giving away your source-code?

I was able to get the game running this way under ubuntu....thank you :awesome:
Pretty much. Most people won't know how to get to the sourcecode anyways, and for those who do... I don't mind all that much. Hopefully no one will try to steal it and use it to learn instead.

Glad you got the game to work on Linux! I'm starting to realize there are way more people using ubuntu on this forum than on steam in general :P
Computer science student and part time game dev! Currently working on Depths of Limbo! :cool:

Check out the game website DepthsOfLimbo.com! :ultrahappy:
And my personal website with all my projects evgiz.net! :megagrin:
Rubix
Prole

Post by Rubix »

Just grabbed it on Steam, I'll try it out tonight!
evgiz
Citizen

Post by evgiz »

Rubix wrote:Just grabbed it on Steam, I'll try it out tonight!
Awesome, thanks! Hope you'll like it :cool:
Computer science student and part time game dev! Currently working on Depths of Limbo! :cool:

Tacolizard
Prole

Post by Tacolizard »

can i get a key by any chance? i missed the first two and i don't really have money to spare. :)
evgiz
Citizen

Post by evgiz »

Tacolizard wrote:can i get a key by any chance? i missed the first two and i don't really have money to spare. :)
Don't think that'd be fair for everyone else, but I'm doing a giveaway on twitter. Perhaps you'll get lucky :P

weitnow
Prole

Post by weitnow »

evgiz wrote: Pretty much. Most people won't know how to get to the sourcecode anyways, and for those who do... I don't mind all that much. Hopefully no one will try to steal it and use it to learn instead.

Glad you got the game to work on Linux! I'm starting to realize there are way more people using ubuntu on this forum than on steam in general :P
Frankly, I think its great that I can extract the source-code for several reasons. First, i can buy the game and support the developper. Second, thanks to 0X72 I am now able to enjoy great love2d-steamgames on linux. Third, I can take a look to the source-code for learning purposes. So actually if I buy a great game, I get twice as much content for the money :) I can enjoy the game and furthermore learn more about love2d and lua in generall. Its kind of a code of honor not to misuse it.
easy82
Party member

Post by easy82 »

Congrats on the launch! Will buy soon :)
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

I played it a bit. The first floor is HARD, but I'm afraid kind of looks like a Binding of Isaac clone to me...?
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics