Some Circle Game. Ideas to make it better?

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
ivan
Party member

Re: Some Circle Game. Ideas to make it better?

Post by ivan »

Yes, it's pretty fun. I managed to win on my second attempt although lost the first game after a poor start.
The game needs work but there is potential here.
Here are my suggestions:
- drag and drop is definitely a must for a game like this
- holding the right button could move the camera - better yet design the game so that no camera scrolling is required at all
- when both my side and the red guys attack a base at the same time, the red guys get an advantage for a second or two
- pathfinding might be good so I can move units from several bases away - not just to adjacent bases. Due to frantic nature of the game I have no choice but to focus on the bases near borders whereas older bases remain maxed out!
- pausing the gameplay at strategic moments could be helpful too
Well done!
mtdev
Prole

Post by mtdev »

Thank you for the feedback, TheOddByte
No, I mean that it will show the amount of upgrades, like you have 10x defense upgrades for example. The UI gets cluttery when displaying the upgrades next to a node if you have a lot of upgrades.
Ahh, I have the upgrades capped at 1 now. That is how it should have been... But now you having me thinking about allowing more... :)

Thank you Ivan
drag and drop is definitely a must for a game like this
pathfinding might be good so I can move units from several bases away - not just to adjacent bases. Due to frantic nature of the game I have no choice but to focus on the bases near borders whereas older bases remain maxed out!
Agreed! I will implement these soon.
holding the right button could move the camera - better yet design the game so that no camera scrolling is required at all
Game starts with your capitol centered to help keep you in the dark about where the enemy is located. I think I like the scrolling and scaling that was suggested by Nixola and implemented but have left the "quick center" right click enabled still (for now).
pathfinding might be good so I can move units from several bases away - not just to adjacent bases. Due to frantic nature of the game I have no choice but to focus on the bases near borders whereas older bases remain maxed out!

pausing the gameplay at strategic moments could be helpful too
Latest version fixes that issue and adds pause (press P) as well as changes a few things up with the combat and movement system.

Thanks again for all of the help!
Skeletonxf
Citizen

Post by Skeletonxf »

I've played a few versions from my phone and found a few usability issues there. A deselect button would be really useful and clear coloured/otherwise visuals for what I've selected would really help with making sure I send my troops where I want. A few times now I've selected a node I've then not been able to find out how to deselect, and I've been left unable to make any moves. Also on high dpi devices clicking the nodes is challenging when they have < 100 units, and on a phone I can't use the scroll wheel to zoom in :/

Additionally if I accidentally send a units to a 1000 unit node they just seem to get deleted, being able to have nodes host over 1000 though stop generating troops would be very helpful.
dixita
Prole

Post by dixita »

This 2 links are too useful..i will now only follow this..
bladum
Prole

Post by bladum »

dixita wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:18 am
This 2 links are too useful..i will now only follow this..
i made similar game as posted in this thread. Sharing video about that game with most its features is the best way to comment what is missing in "Some Circle game". Video links are much more useful then few words of text.

...or i haven't catch the sarcasm...

Thanks