My First ever Game/Project

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
yosy2010
Prole

My First ever Game/Project

Post by yosy2010 »

Hello everybody..

This is my first topic in the forums, and I'm glad to be here.

I was introduced to lua and love2d by CS50 course on edx, and I really liked it. So I made my final project to be a game made with love2d and I'm here to share it with you. It is not the prettiest or that exiting, it was made just to prove to myself that I can do it. I've done some assignments on courses before but I've never really have done my own idea on my own project.

Please I would like your thought and insightful criticism. Thanks
RunAndSlide.love
(763.87 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
sphyrth
Party member

Re: My First ever Game/Project

Post by sphyrth »

I can't "play" it because of my 4:3 screen, but Congratulations on this one. I mean, you truly did a good job. :)

Looking at your files, you seem to have worked hard trying to fix the shortcomings that the CS50 tutorial has... starting from the non-usage of the infamous push library.

Keep growing at it.
yosy2010
Prole

Post by yosy2010 »

I can't "play" it because of my 4:3 screen, but Congratulations on this one. I mean, you truly did a good job. :)

Looking at your files, you seem to have worked hard trying to fix the shortcomings that the CS50 tutorial has... starting from the non-usage of the infamous push library.

Keep growing at it.
Thanks a lot for your nice words.

And yah, CS50 is a great course and one of the best to be honest, but not the game track. I mean, It's not bad, but it's not the best.

Thanks again for your nice words.
Olayinkagenius777
Prole

Post by Olayinkagenius777 »

sphyrth wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:06 pm I can't "play" it because of my 4:3 screen, but Congratulations on this one. I mean, you truly did a good job. :)

Keep growing at it.
Yes, the push library crashes all time
Olayinkagenius777
Prole

yosy2010 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:21 pm Hello everybody..

I was introduced to lua and love2d by CS50 course on edx, and I really liked it. So I made my final project to be a game made with love2d and I'm here to share it with you. It is not the prettiest or that exiting, it was made just to prove to myself that I can do it. I've done some assignments on courses before but I've never really have done my own idea on my own project.

RunAndSlide.love
Great game. I actually quited CS5O due to the push library. It doesn't work. But you did a great job
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

It really annoys me (and I guess the creator!) that people talk crap about Push, when the problem is with the CS50 course and not the library. The course is using an outdated version, and that's not the fault of the library. If you get it from its origin https://github.com/Ulydev/push, it works like a charm.
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

pgimeno wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:57 pm It really annoys me (and I guess the creator!) that people talk crap about Push, when the problem is with the CS50 course and not the library. The course is using an outdated version, and that's not the fault of the library. If you get it from its origin https://github.com/Ulydev/push, it works like a charm.
I 100% agree with you.
One would think that people who are beginners (An asumption based on the fact they seem to be following some tutorial) would be a bit more humble. Or at least consider the posibillity that maaaaaaaybe they are doing something wrong. :|
sphyrth
Party member

Post by sphyrth »

Oooh! What's this, some beef? :rofl
yosy2010
Prole

Post by yosy2010 »

Olayinkagenius777 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:02 pm

RunAndSlide.love
Great game. I actually quited CS5O due to the push library. It doesn't work. But you did a great job
Thanks, It actually does work, and I think in the instruction of the course they ask you to download an older version of love2d so that it works with the version of push they have.

If you want to go on with the course with the latest version of love, you just have to grab it from the git repo yourself.
Olayinkagenius777
Prole

yosy2010 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:30 am
Olayinkagenius777 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:02 pm

RunAndSlide.love
Thanks, It actually does work, and I think in the instruction of the course they ask you to download an older version of love2d so that it works with the version of push they have.

If you want to go on with the course with the latest version of love, you just have to grab it from the git repo yourself.
Oh, ok thanks, ill do that right away. i was using version 11.3