What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by Jasoco »

megalukes wrote: Scalling was hell because it was impossible for me to find a center for a lot of objects at the same time. I had to push/translate/pop a lot. Scissor was weird to configure too, for some reason. But everything is working smoothly at the moment. I'll try to post more here.
Draw to a canvas at the resolution you need and scale that up.
megalukes
Citizen

Post by megalukes »

Jasoco wrote:Draw to a canvas at the resolution you need and scale that up.
I must confess I hesitated to use canvases so far. Each dialogue window would have to need a canvas if I'd do that (I don't think I'd have more than 5 windows on screen at the same time). Is there any chance I get slowdowns because of them, or this would be fine?
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

You would draw everything in your entire draw function to a single canvas. Why would you need one for every dialog? You can still push and pop stuff in a canvas.
yx961031
Prole

Post by yx961031 »

just study study and study ! My final exam come soon .But I never learn with my teacher.League of Legends,the game is a drug. :(
ken.athomos
Citizen

Post by ken.athomos »

Just finished my first sem of 4th year college. Thesis has been doing well. I'm still working on my first game project which is an endless runner. I sadly left it unfinished since August because college was gonna start around those time. Luckily, most of the code is done when I left it. Maybe some polishing here and there. In my opinion, all I need to do now is make the art and either make the music or get one online.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Jasoco wrote:
Fuzzlix wrote:
Jasoco wrote: Not 100% sure on the vanishing aspect though. Should the lid remain? Or should it disappear? I'd also like to play with a neat "lid flying off violently" animation. I dunno. Keeping the lid on looks nice but may just get in the way visually later on.
Looks good already until the lid reaches its highest point. Imagine how it would look, when keep turning the lid past its highes point and turning the lid behind the box.
Just experimented with it and it looks really bad sadly. Like not natural at all.

I am however experimenting with an elastic effect where the lid swings up and down after opening. Then vanishes. Looks neat so far. But now I have to go to work.
Just spent about an hour playing around and tweaking this and I think it looks really good.
Untitled-2.gif
Untitled-2.gif (255.71 KiB) Viewed 4149 times
That little squish before it jumps and causes the lid to fly open. It then swings back and forth before disappearing. I could remove the disappearing part and let it stay but I haven't decided yet.

When I actually create items and inventory I'll put a way to have an item fly out of it into the air when you open it.
Fuzzlix
Citizen

Post by Fuzzlix »

Jasoco wrote: That little squish before it jumps and causes the lid to fly open. It then swings back and forth before disappearing. I could remove the disappearing part and let it stay but I haven't decided yet.
I like it - looks really great and dynamic. I dont know how it can be done better.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Fuzzlix wrote:
Jasoco wrote: That little squish before it jumps and causes the lid to fly open. It then swings back and forth before disappearing. I could remove the disappearing part and let it stay but I haven't decided yet.
I like it - looks really great and dynamic. I dont know how it can be done better.
Without drawing every single animation frame of it opening to make it more precise, I think it's probably as perfect as it can get.

Well, maybe also a tilt. Make it look like it bounces on its edges side to side. But I don't feel like trying to figure out the physics of that. And it's harder since I can't use the offset Y and X values to peg the image at the bottom center because I already peg them at the top. So rotating wouldn't look correct without more work.
Fuzzlix
Citizen

Post by Fuzzlix »

Jasoco wrote: Well, maybe also a tilt. Make it look like it bounces on its edges side to side. But I don't feel like trying to figure out the physics of that. And it's harder since I can't use the offset Y and X values to peg the image at the bottom center because I already peg them at the top. So rotating wouldn't look correct without more work.
We can do all things better or different. The question is: Is it good enouth? And i think it is better than good enouth :)

The only thing i dont know: Why did you frame the box with a dark 1 pixel border?
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

It's practically a direct rip of the one from Link's Awakening. I haven't gotten around to drawing my own. I'm a programmer, not an artist. lol

Edit: Here's what it would look like if I expand it to remove the black borders:
Untitled-1.gif
Untitled-1.gif (233.3 KiB) Viewed 4124 times
It looks good, but I don't know if I'm satisfied. I'd rather keep it as it is and redraw them later.

Edit: On second thought, I kind of like it. I think I'll keep it for now.