LÖVE distribution website

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Wrinkliez
Prole

Re: LÖVE distribution website

Post by Wrinkliez »

Wow. Fantastic work.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

Update

We're not sitting on our hands, neither are we twiddling our thumbs. Work is progressing pretty quickly, I'd say. I haven't been following the work on the backend, but on the frontend we've got a login page, a game page and the previously seen submission page.

The submission page is going to be changed around a little, because of a change in how the service works. Instead of uploading a game and choosing what binaries to generate, you'll upload your game, fill in a bunch of details about it, and then when someone tries to download it, a binary for that system will be generated and sent. At least that's the plan right now.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Will the login be tied to your forum/wiki identity? Almost got a Löve network going here if so :D
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Lafolie wrote:Will the login be tied to your forum/wiki identity? Almost got a Löve network going here if so :D
If it's up to thelinx, then yes. I don't know how well it plays with Django, but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work. (But who am I to speak? I'm having terrible difficulties getting Django to run at all. :()
Help us help you: attach a .love.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

Robin wrote:
Lafolie wrote:Will the login be tied to your forum/wiki identity? Almost got a Löve network going here if so :D
If it's up to thelinx, then yes. I don't know how well it plays with Django, but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work. (But who am I to speak? I'm having terrible difficulties getting Django to run at all. :()
The idea is that it will tie in with your forum/wiki user, yes. I think he's already got it working to some degree.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Cool, apparently I'm creating "Warlocks and Bi-winning".
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

bartbes wrote:Cool, apparently I'm creating "Warlocks and Bi-winning".
And it seems to feature Charlie Sheen for some reason.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

You will login to the LÖVELoad website using your currently existing forum/wiki account. I already have that working.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Concerning the game pages and such, will the games be archived there? If so then it would be interesting have those pages tied/linked to forum profiles and possibly even a way to link to one of your games automatically when posting a new thread. Or even better, have the thread automatically created (if specified). But that could potentially create a bit of spam.

Also, for the download button, you could have one "main" download that brings down the binaries for the client's platform (I'm pretty sure it's possible to check the OS of the client and give out the correct files). Then you could have smaller buttons for the love/platform specific files if they require them. It would simplify things somewhat and be more streamlined for players/users who may not be sure what they need.

For example, if you got to the Skype or iTunes website, the page for your platform is brought up, though the others are still accessible in some way.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
bmelts
Party member

Post by bmelts »

Feature request: a better name :monocle: