Reduce animation choppiness

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Trevor
Prole

Reduce animation choppiness

Post by Trevor »

I'm making a fighting game similar to Mortal Kombat (1992) and as such I used stop-motion photography for the sprites. Unfortunately, some of the sprites don't have enough frames and look choppy while animating - changing the delay helps, but it's not enough. I know this isn't the fault of either LOVE or AnAL, but I was wondering if there is something that can be done programmatically to improve the look of these animations.
kikito
Inner party member

Re: Reduce animation choppiness

Post by kikito »

"Choppiness" is a very generic term. What do you mean, exactly? Can you create a .love file showing the issue?
When I write def I mean function.
retrotails
Party member

Post by retrotails »

Trevor wrote:I'm making a fighting game similar to Mortal Kombat (1992) and as such I used stop-motion photography for the sprites. Unfortunately, some of the sprites don't have enough frames and look choppy while animating - changing the delay helps, but it's not enough. I know this isn't the fault of either LOVE or AnAL, but I was wondering if there is something that can be done programmatically to improve the look of these animations.
Maybe have in-between frames made up of the frames before and after blended together with love.graphics.setColor(255,255,255,128)
Trevor
Prole

Post by Trevor »

The main game is now 15MB because of the sprites and music, so here is just one sprite animating. Perhaps the delay could be better optimized, but I think it gets the idea across.
Attachments
Demo.love
(73.38 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
Trevor
Prole

Post by Trevor »

retrotails, that sounds like it could work, but I don't know to implement it. Can you provide a small example? or a more detailed explanation?
retrotails
Party member

Post by retrotails »

Trevor wrote:retrotails, that sounds like it could work, but I don't know to implement it. Can you provide a small example? or a more detailed explanation?
I've never used an animation library other then my own, so I don't know if it's possible with AnAL. Also this is nearly seizure inducing so its not that great.
edit:
Change love.update to this to see the effect more clearly

Code: Select all

timer = timer + dt/8
Trevor
Prole

Post by Trevor »

Nearly seizure inducing indeed. Thanks for the help. I guess there isn't anything that can be done for a poorly made sprite. It has an interesting effect on the animation, but it doesn't appear to improve the smoothness. Thanks for suggesting slowing it down to see it more clearly.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

The only thing I can think of for making it "less choppy" is making it smaller.

While smooth animations are always a great thing to have, a small number of frames is quite noticeable on big animations.

Here, have some inspiration:

http://www.fightersgeneration.com/characters/dan-a.html
When I write def I mean function.
Trevor
Prole

Post by Trevor »

Thanks kikito, where possible I'll reduce the size.
vitaminx
Citizen

Post by vitaminx »

There's a free application called SloMo Video for Windows and Linux:
http://slowmovideo.granjow.net/download.php

I've tried it once and it does a *very* convincing job in calculating frames "in between" and producing a smooth animation.