Does this game idea sound fun to you?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.

Does this sound fun to you

Yes
30%
No
70%

Total votes: 10

Tesselode
Party member

Does this game idea sound fun to you?

Post by Tesselode »

This idea sounded cool when I thought of it a while ago, but now it seems kind of boring.

The idea is you would be on one side of a randomly generated corridor, and enemies would spawn on the other side and come towards you. You can only see yourself; you can't see the shape of the corridor or the enemies. You have to avoid the enemies by listening to the panning and the volume of the sounds they make when they bump into the walls.

Does this sound like it would be any good? Visually it would be very boring because you can't see anything, and I can't think of any opportunities to make the game more interesting than just avoiding enemies.
kraftman
Party member

Re: Does this game idea sound fun to you?

Post by kraftman »

It really needs a graphic element. Maybe they flash up for something?
XQYZ
Prole

Post by XQYZ »

I don't think it would be all that fun to play since it's too focused on sound. I mean, I could see this working maybe if you have some sort of horror game where occasionally the power goes of and you actually have to rely on sound. But even then I wouldn't totally disable the visual element and instead limit it (e.g. a flashlight) and only use sound as a supporting device.

But who knows, make a tech demo and test it out, shouldn't be more than a few hours worth of work and maybe you are onto something.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

This could work very well. This is how games made for people who are blind or have very poor eyesight work. It will be much harder for the sighted, but that's part of the fun.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

My big concern would be that most people have just two speakers of dubious quality. You'll need to exaggerate/layer the effect as you get closer. Maybe the enemies pant or wheeze or something as you get closer?
Kurosuke needs beta testers
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Yeah, and you could have several sound effects for enemies, for a certain distance range, and gradually swap them out when distance changes.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

It would probably be very hard for most players, but that's part of the fun. If well made, it could certainly be interesting. Go for it :neko:
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

This was an idea I played with a while ago https://bitbucket.org/dannyfritz/blind-love/
but I didn't think it was very fun.