Huge success

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Huge success

Post by Taehl »

It's not Love-related, but I still feel a need to show off my latest achievement.

My first Android app. It works on real hardware. It's also my first real experience with Java.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Re: Huge success

Post by TechnoCat »

Nice! Now make a game! =P
bmelts
Party member

Post by bmelts »

Very cool. I see the background changes to reflect the values of the sliders - how challenging would it be to color the sliders themselves to reflect what color things would be if you moved them? Akin to this.
Taehl

Post by Taehl »

That's a fine idea, anjo, and I already tried to do it. But I think their appearance is controlled by some sort of theme or something, and that's beyond me (for now, at least!). At least, trying to change their color with the standard XML properties didn't do much.

Also, Java makes me pine for Lua. Did you know Java functions can only return ONE variable? And that if a function doesn't accept the exact number and types of parameters it's being called with, it'll crash (took me two hours to figure that one out...)?
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Ah, the beauty of higher level programming languages. :P
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Taehl wrote:That's a fine idea, anjo, and I already tried to do it. But I think their appearance is controlled by some sort of theme or something, and that's beyond me (for now, at least!). At least, trying to change their color with the standard XML properties didn't do much.

Also, Java makes me pine for Lua. Did you know Java functions can only return ONE variable? And that if a function doesn't accept the exact number and types of parameters it's being called with, it'll crash (took me two hours to figure that one out...)?
That can also be a good thing. Especially in larger projects with more than one programmer involved, it can really help to make things more strict to avoid confusion. Not being able to return more than one object is kind of lame, though. You can always return an array, but this can be annoying when you want to return objects of multiple types :P
anjo wrote:Very cool. I see the background changes to reflect the values of the sliders - how challenging would it be to color the sliders themselves to reflect what color things would be if you moved them? Akin to this.
The colors of the sliders are decided by your Android theme, they are yellow in standard Android and for example green with HTC Sense.
Taehl

Post by Taehl »

Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against strong typing, but not being able to say "hey, I don't care about those three extra parameters you want to give me" or "I want to have an extra parameter" is annoying. Especially if you have no idea that something is passing parameters in the first place.