A Community-Culture Problem With Library Names

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Azhukar
Party member

Re: A Community-Culture Problem With Library Names

Post by Azhukar »

ejmr wrote:A lot of film audiences in my experience do not stay to watch the credits of a movie, but that's an unacceptable excuse for not crediting (for example) an overseas animation studio who contributed. I see games the same way.
Do you see the names of cameras the film was made with in credits? How about the light bulb names?
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

God has spoken,
rude wrote:I encourage everyone to use innuendo-free names for their libraries. Consider renaming your library if it has a particularly x-rated name (e.g. "AnAL")
It is, now, in the past. I for one also find those names funny and have no problem with them but, as said here by quite a number of people, they can be offensive to a large group of people that might be considering entering the LÖVE ecosystem and not just that but those names can be seen by children and I don't really think that kids should be seing those kind of names in such an early age, more and more kids are looking into programming and as we all now children's minds and personalities can be very easily influenced and belive me, you don't want to see kids telling sex jokes, that is actually happening a lot on where I live and I just find it disturbing, they should not be exposed to those kind of ideas yet. People've also said that instead of teaching children how to code using external libraries to try teaching them how to code their own but I started programing when I was 10 or so and I didn't have no one to teach me, I simply learned by myself, if a 10 yearold little boy comes into this engine and sees those name (and he will see them) then he will be, as I said, exposed to stuff that should still be unknown to him.

To people that have already coded those libs all we can do now is, either:
  • Change their name in our projects (games or tutorials)
  • The authors themselfs could rename their libs (if they want, like AnAL to AnimationAL)
And for the future libs just keep yourself from writing COCK in the title..
Doing this will not take the fun and the relaxed ambient out of the LÖVE community, it'll just improve it so that children and those (little shit) self proclaimed "professionals" (which in most cases are not) can come in here and use them without lifting these useless problems.
And I am not saying to stop these jokes altogether (please don't) but just stop nameing stuff "COCK" and instead of AnAL write AnimAL or AnimationAL or any other none x-rated name that you can think of that can express what your lib does and in the docs write AnAL here and there for the giggles, kids won't see it and even if they do it won't have that major impact into their personalities and/or future lifes and those "professionals" (if they are realy professionals) they will laugh and laughing will actually relax them and it WILL increase their productivitie (Google is doing this, they write puns in the docs to make programmers laugh and relax).

Keep joking but in a way that it won't offend anyone, I don't want us to become programmer robots or, as said here, monky programmers, we should all keep this "unprofessional" and relaxed mood, because thats one of the things that makes LÖVE what it is.
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.
ejmr
Party member

Post by ejmr »

Azhukar wrote:Do you see the names of cameras the film was made with in credits? How about the light bulb names?
For cameras and the type of film they use, I think you do; but I know not all movies ever do it. For light bulbs? I don't know, probably not. Let's assume the credits show neither: that undercuts the analogy so strongly that we shouldn't worry much about giving credit to third-parties in game credits? That is an extreme amount of analogy nit-picking in my opinion. But it's getting off the larger topic of discussion anyways.
ejmr :: Programming and Game-Dev Blog, GitHub
南無妙法蓮華經
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

You guys are still discussing whether or not the libs that you used alongside their devs should be shown in the credits ? Yes, every single lib and every single dev, everyone that helped you should be noted in the final product, it's not mandatorie but it's really a question of respect and your are also showing that you are thankful for their help, and I think we all agree on that because we are all lovers and that's one of our caracteristics as a community.
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.
Azhukar
Party member

Post by Azhukar »

ejmr wrote:that undercuts the analogy so strongly that we shouldn't worry much about giving credit to third-parties in game credits? That is an extreme amount of analogy nit-picking in my opinion.
Nobody said you shouldn't give credit. What I said and strongly hinted at was that when you give credit, you give credit to the people. You don't thank the light bulb.

Similarly, you credit the creators of the library. You don't need to include the name of the library in the credits unless the specific license demands it. If you don't respect the name of the library you use enough to include it alongside the creator name in credits, that is your decision.
kclanc
Citizen

Post by kclanc »

Robin wrote: Sixth, -- and this is off-topic, but I wanted to mention it anyway --- I think the real problem of our community (and I know most of you don't agree with me here) is how we deal with gender. This isn't a LÖVE exclusive, much of the geek world has issues with that, and the three subcultures I know that have the most visible and deep struggles are Tech Startups, Open Source and Gaming. LÖVE happens to combine the last two, so it stands to reason it would be worse here. Most of the time, though, it isn't very visible, mainly because we have managed to drive away every single female member of our community. I think I've known three. I don't think any of them has been here in years.
But this is not off topic! When I said that bringing sexual innuendos into non-sexual situations is usually problematic, I was specifically thinking that it can make people uncomfortable in a sexual harassment sort of way. Of course, this isn't necessarily the case; if you're with people you know well and have a really good joke, there is nothing wrong with telling it regardless of how dirty it is. But consider the following scenario: a girl becomes interested in programming and goes to a game jam. She finds a bunch of nerdy guys there. Okay, that is to be expected. But then when she asks what libraries to use, they start telling her things like LUBE, SECS, and Quickie. Don't you think that would make her uncomfortable?

I'm participating in this thread due to my desire to make the LOVE community and software as inclusive as possible. When someone decides to make the name of their library a sex joke, it makes the community a little less inclusive, and that's a shame.
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

@kclac one more reason as to why people should change the way they name their libs, x-rated names are not recommended and this doesn't mean that the LOVE community will lose it's style because

Check out my twitter.
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

our community is not just sex jokes, it's way WAY more than that and we all now that

Check out my twitter.
szensk
Party member

Post by szensk »

kclanc wrote: But then when she asks what libraries to use, they start telling her things like LUBE, SECS, and Quickie. Don't you think that would make her uncomfortable?
why would this discourage any female more so than a male?
kclanc
Citizen

Post by kclanc »

szensk wrote:
kclanc wrote: But then when she asks what libraries to use, they start telling her things like LUBE, SECS, and Quickie. Don't you think that would make her uncomfortable?
why would this discourage any female more so than a male?
You raise a good point. I'm personally terrified at the possibility that when I go to a game jam there will be a bunch of girls there who are staring at me in a creepy way.