Window size limit?!

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Hexenhammer
Party member

Window size limit?!

Post by Hexenhammer »

Does LÖVE (0.9.0) limit the window size to the maximal full screen resolution? Because it seems that way. I am unable to create a window with a width larger than 1920.. which happens to be the maximal full screen resolution of my system. Please tell me there is a way around this.

I used LÖVE as a quick and dirty way to create tile atlases and it worked. But right now I want to make an atlas > 1920pixels wide. Is there a way to do that with LÖVE or do I have to rewrite my atlas maker in C/SDL?

What I have done thus far was simply creating a Window with the size of the atlas I wanted, drew the tiles on it, and then saved a "screenshot" (actually a window dump) to disk (using LÖVE's "screenshot" function). As I said, that worked well.. until now.

If there is no way around the window size limit is there a way to draw to an arbitrary sized offscreen surface and somehow save said surface to a file? I ask because that's what I would do with plain SDL.
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: Window size limit?!

Post by slime »

Hexenhammer wrote:If there is no way around the window size limit is there a way to draw to an arbitrary sized offscreen surface and somehow save said surface to a file? I ask because that's what I would do with plain SDL.
[wiki]Canvas[/wiki]es.
And [wiki]Canvas:getImageData[/wiki].
Hexenhammer
Party member

Post by Hexenhammer »

slime wrote:
Hexenhammer wrote:If there is no way around the window size limit is there a way to draw to an arbitrary sized offscreen surface and somehow save said surface to a file? I ask because that's what I would do with plain SDL.
[wiki]Canvas[/wiki]es.
And [wiki]Canvas:getImageData[/wiki].
Thanks! Got it working in no time! :awesome:
Wojak
Party member

Post by Wojak »

Hexenhammer wrote: What I have done thus far was simply creating a Window with the size of the atlas I wanted, drew the tiles on it, and then saved a "screenshot" (actually a window dump) to disk (using LÖVE's "screenshot" function). As I said, that worked well.. until now.
I was planing to use a similar method to generate images on systems that don't support canvas (replacement for canvas – while the level is loading the game would take some screenshots, the screenshots could be saved and then used when needed)

So is there a possibility to add a flag to love.window.setMode that will remove the size limit?