LÖVE 0.9.X Tutorial Series!

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Eamonn
Party member

LÖVE 0.9.X Tutorial Series!

Post by Eamonn »

Hey! So after a long time of being away from the LÖVE framework, I decided to come back! As a result, I decided to make a LÖVE 0.9.X tutorial series on YouTube. A while ago, I had a LÖVE 0.8.0 tutorial series, but since the change between 0.8.0 and 0.9.X was so drastic, I thought it would be a good idea to make a new tutorial series.

I know, I know, shameless self promotion, but apparently this is one of the (if not the only) 0.9.X LÖVE tutorial series, though I didn't spend too long digging :neko: So, if you're new to LÖVE, hopefully this will be a good starting point for you :D

If you already watched the 0.8.0 series, you should still consider watching this series as I will be covering what changed between versions. I hope to get at least 1 episode uploaded each day, about 2 recorded each day.

My goal with the old series was to try and cover everything within LÖVE. Of course, in this series, that wont be the main goal, but I'll cover some important things, then move on to making a simple "game", then rinse and repeat. Cover a little bit, make a project relevant to what I covered, cover more, making another project, and so on.

If you have any suggestions or questions, either leave a comment on the video, send me a PM here or on YouTube or leave a reply here.

LÖVE 0.9.X playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... re=mh_lolz
LÖVE 0.8.0 playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... re=mh_lolz
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
Rockford
Prole

Re: LÖVE 0.9.X Tutorial Series!

Post by Rockford »

Awesome. Your first series helped me get a grasp of LÖVE, Lua, and what programming was all about!
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

Rockford wrote:Awesome. Your first series helped me get a grasp of LÖVE, Lua, and what programming was all about!
Really? That's awesome! :ultraglee:
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

I never watched your old series, but welcome back! I think there might be one other tutorial, but still, the more the merrier!
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

davisdude wrote:I never watched your old series, but welcome back! I think there might be one other tutorial, but still, the more the merrier!
Thanks!

The more the merrier is right (Is it bad I thought of that boss from Shadow The Hedgehog? XD)! It doesn't really matter though, the more tutorials on LÖVE the easier it is for people to learn how to use it!
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Great series, you talk very fast though but that's no issue for me at all.
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

jjmafiae wrote:Great series, you talk very fast though but that's no issue for me at all.
Really? I thought I spoke slower in this series :P I'll make more of an effort to talk slower now though. Thanks! :D
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

There are lots of lots of video tutorial for LÖVE now. Maybe we can start a wiki page listing all of them (at least, what we can find), and add a link to this page on the main section of the wiki ?
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

Roland_Yonaba wrote:There are lots of lots of video tutorial for LÖVE now. Maybe we can start a wiki page listing all of them (at least, what we can find), and add a link to this page on the main section of the wiki ?
I think that's a fantastic idea! If we had a wiki page listing all video tutorials/video tutorial series' (I know some people just have series' for making simple games in LÖVE, so we could link to those too maybe?) it'd be a great and organised way for people to find video tutorials for LÖVE, rather than blindly searching YouTube/Google for tutorials.

EDIT: Wait, what about this page? http://www.love2d.org/wiki/Category:Tutorials

Couldn't we just update that page? Or did you mean like a separate wiki for tutorials?