Will this be hard or easy?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
louie999
Prole

Will this be hard or easy?

Post by louie999 »

So i have this great idea for a game that i want to make, its gonna be a war game where each player's take turns,it will have many units,such as Tanks,Fighter jets,Aircraft Carriers,Destroyers etc. just wondering will this be easy to make? I'm not pro at lua but i know a little bit about it. :)

Code: Select all

fun = true
school = true

function isItFun()
    if school then
       fun = false
    end
    if not fun then 
       me:explode()
    end
end
micha
Inner party member

Re: Will this be hard or easy?

Post by micha »

It will be hard. Finishing a game is always hard.

From what you write, it seems you haven't finished a game before. If you go ahead and start an overly ambitious project, you will most likely get frustrated quickly and then stop.

My advice for you: Start small. Make some simple and small games, maybe clones of pong, tetris, pacman... That way you will not only learn more about lua and LÖVE, but you will also learn about yourself and your abilities. Once you have done this, you will be able to answer the question "Will this be hard or easy?" for yourself, because you start to understand how much work game development is.

I hope this does not discourage you: Game development is a great hobby and can be very rewarding. So, try your luck with a smaller project, get better and then eventually do a bigger project!!
louie999
Prole

Re: Will this be hard or easy?

Post by louie999 »

micha wrote:It will be hard. Finishing a game is always hard.

From what you write, it seems you haven't finished a game before. If you go ahead and start an overly ambitious project, you will most likely get frustrated quickly and then stop.

My advice for you: Start small. Make some simple and small games, maybe clones of pong, tetris, pacman... That way you will not only learn more about lua and LÖVE, but you will also learn about yourself and your abilities. Once you have done this, you will be able to answer the question "Will this be hard or easy?" for yourself, because you start to understand how much work game development is.

I hope this does not discourage you: Game development is a great hobby and can be very rewarding. So, try your luck with a smaller project, get better and then eventually do a bigger project!!
ah ok thx :awesome:

Code: Select all

fun = true
school = true

function isItFun()
    if school then
       fun = false
    end
    if not fun then 
       me:explode()
    end
end