Hi, I wanted to introduce myself formally

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
scissors61
Citizen

Hi, I wanted to introduce myself formally

Post by scissors61 »

Hi, I wanted to introduce myself, lately a big part of my time has been focused on learning löve, it's hard because I'm new both to löve and to any kind of coding and I have trouble with maths and with formal study, but I'm trying and I don't give up so easily lol. also, the community has been really friendly, I've used the irc chat mostly thinking that my questions are not even worthy to be in the category of the thread "questions that don't deserve their own thread", but I've always found someone willing to help.

Anyways, what drove me here is that I love games, but I never thought of programming, I was only interested in the aspect of game design. Since kid, I admired Japanese game designers, and followed them, even if the game didn't have good graphics, I focused on the style and personality that the game designer reflected in their games, I thought, there is something important that you couldn't see right away and that could be even more important than what the game appears to be, that's very cool!. I even wanted to design games in japan, and even went so far as to start learning Japanese for that goal, but Japanese was harder than I thought and I lost hope, even though I learned Japanese in the end, I'm around N2 level now but it's still not enough, those were just the unrealistic dreams of a teenager without his feet on the ground, I thought,

Bur recently I discovered the indie community, and got the same bug again, but now it is a more realistic goal, though in the indie community my niche is not very appreciated "the idea guy" lol, and that's why I am learning to code. I have some developed ideas, and want to make my first game very soon, so I'm here to learn!
Ortimh
Citizen

Re: Hi, I wanted to introduce myself formally

Post by Ortimh »

I think this is not a self introduction, but welcome to the forum anyway! Enjoy your stay.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Welcome!
When I write def I mean function.
Beelz
Party member

Post by Beelz »

Welcome! You picked a great place to start coding... A nice easy language to start out, and a great community! Don't feel like your questions don't deserve merit, there's no such thing as a dumb question. Just kidding, there is if there's no common sense involved.

Code: Select all

if self:hasBeer() then self:drink()
else self:getBeer() end
GitHub -- Website
scissors61
Citizen

Post by scissors61 »

Thanks guys. Yes Beelz, I feel I can do a lot in lua now with just some basics stuff. I'm hoping that soon I'll be able to use oop and metatables. and yes, I'll ask more in the forums too.
Beelz
Party member

Post by Beelz »

Just work at your own pace, no need to dive in deeper than you're ready for... For example I have yet to understand metatables, and I've been coding on and off for about 10 years now. I'll admit, I haven't even tried to use them really. :P I'm sure it has it's advantages, but I seem to do fine without.

Code: Select all

if self:hasBeer() then self:drink()
else self:getBeer() end
GitHub -- Website
scissors61
Citizen

Post by scissors61 »

So they are not that necessary, but as you say they surely have their own advantages, I heard that oop is kind of fundamental or really useful, and it is used a lot in codes, so for understanding other people's code knowing what "self" means its very important, but at least I can do some things with what I know now, have to enjoy the ride lol.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Still, don't forget this is lua, so it's full of syntactical sugar one should be familiar with, like why self is not that important, or the difference between the : (colon) and . (dot) syntaxes.
Also, OOP is useful at most, but one can take other routes as well, like (pure) entity-component-systems work completely differently.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
scissors61
Citizen

Post by scissors61 »

After you mentioned zorg, I started to look for information about ECS for löve, but there doesn't seem to be much available, there is lovetoys, a library, but still, the concepts have to be learned in order to use ECS properly, so I guess I have to look how they are used in other engines like unity. Hey, but this is kind of fun.
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

tiny-ecs is probably a good choice for a ECS.