Let's Dev - Game Development Videos

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Ulydev
Party member

Let's Dev - Game Development Videos

Post by Ulydev »

Hello there, Lövers! :D

I just started making a video series about game development.
It's somewhere between tutorial and Let's Play, but I'm still trying to find a balance between seriousness and fun.

If you're a big fan of internet memes, then you should definitely check it out. Else... you might or might not like the strongly immature humour. :crazy:

Here are the first two episodes:

Hope you enjoy, and thanks in advance for the constructive feedback! :nyu:
Foogles
Prole

Re: Let's Dev - Game Development Videos

Post by Foogles »

Hey! The videos are great. I would love to see more details for how you're doing things like the visual effects.
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

These videos are actually pretty good, I laughed a couple times. More explanation would be nice, but I understand that you want to keep them short and humorous.
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
D0NM
Party member

Post by D0NM »

add dogs, too
thx )
Our LÖVE Gamedev blog Zabuyaki (an open source retro beat 'em up game). Twitter: @Zabuyaki.
:joker: LÖVE & Lua Video Lessons in Russian / Видео уроки по LÖVE и Lua :joker:
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Great series, nice to see that tutorials of all kinds exist for löve, not just dry stuff, but humorous as well! :3
Keep up the good work.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Vimm
Party member

Post by Vimm »

Dude I love the style of the games, how long have you been programming?
Ulydev
Party member

Post by Ulydev »

Thank you guys for the support! I'm definitely keeping your suggestions in mind for the next videos :nyu:
Thanks! I always try to make my games a bit juicy and shaky here and there. I've been trying to make games for a bit more than 2 years now. ;)
Vimm
Party member

Post by Vimm »

Ulydev wrote:Thank you guys for the support! I'm definitely keeping your suggestions in mind for the next videos :nyu:
Thanks! I always try to make my games a bit juicy and shaky here and there. I've been trying to make games for a bit more than 2 years now. ;)
Well you do a good job, the way the make the games look is the style I love, just wish more games were like that. I hope you make that gravity platformer a full game!
airstruck
Party member

Post by airstruck »

I lol'd.

I do have a couple of suggestions for new mechanics since you asked, though.

It might be cool if you could put spin on the ball by moving your paddle as the ball strikes it. The faster your paddle is moving when the ball strikes it, the more spin you'd apply to the ball. By "spin" I mean the ball would travel in an arc (as in, around the edge of a large circle) instead of a straight line. If you put too much spin on it, it could end up backfiring and you could score on yourself. Spin would be cumulative, so if there's already spin on the ball, striking a non-moving surface would just reduce the spin rather than making it move in a straight line again. Spin should probably also decay over time so the ball can't get stuck going around in a circle.

Here's another one; maybe add another game mode for this. Throw a few blocks in the center, breakout-style, now you have a game mode that's either cooperative or pvp depending on how the players want to play it. It could be single-player as well, just put a back wall up until second player joins. Clearing the bricks would advance the level, and new bricks would appear in a new configuration. You could do some interesting stuff with this, like have powerups drop from bricks, or have "exit" spaces where you could exit to the next level without destroying all the bricks.