3D MMORPG, possible in love?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Vimm
Party member

3D MMORPG, possible in love?

Post by Vimm »

I know it's possible to make 3D games in love and lua, but earlier today I was wondering if it'd be possible to make an mmorpg in lua, or if lua isn't a strong enough language. I dont really plan on trying to make on, just curious if it's possible.
master both
Party member

Re: 3D MMORPG, possible in love?

Post by master both »

An mmorpg is totally possible, I believe there are some mmorpg projects in the project section, and correct me if I'm wrong but world of warcraft uses lua as a script language.
Also, while 3D is possible, making a 3D mmo in löve isn't a good idea since löve isn't optimized for 3D games.
Vimm
Party member

Post by Vimm »

master both wrote:An mmorpg is totally possible, I believe there are some mmorpg projects in the project section, and correct me if I'm wrong but world of warcraft uses lua as a script language.
Also, while 3D is possible, making a 3D mmo in löve isn't a good idea since löve isn't optimized for 3D games.
So although you COULD make it 3D in love, you probably shouldnt right?
master both
Party member

Post by master both »

yep, if you want to make a 3D mmo go ahead nothing is stoping you, but it doesn't sound like a good idea
Vimm
Party member

Post by Vimm »

master both wrote:yep, if you want to make a 3D mmo go ahead nothing is stoping you, but it doesn't sound like a good idea
i can barely manage platform movements, let alone a 3d mmo XD i was just wondering how itd go
Beelz
Party member

Post by Beelz »

Just imagine every issue you face making a 2d game work the way you want 10 times worse. Then add the MMO part, multiply by another 100.

Code: Select all

if self:hasBeer() then self:drink()
else self:getBeer() end
GitHub -- Website
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I could do it if I had the wherewithal. But I dont and don't want to make a MMO.

But it would be possible to do a stylized simple one. However the lag would probably be horrible if coupling with the collision detection and all the other stuff you need o do. You could make a small scale one bit nothing like WoW. Is that what the kids are playing today?

Basically. The components could be done. But making them all work without slowdown would be hard. It's be a challenge.

Even a 2D one would be hard. 3D would add a lot more math and CPU usage per frame.
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

I made a 3D MMO in 48 hours for a game jam: http://missingsentinelsoftware.com/game ... irates-mmo

From this experience, I quote:
Introducing the 48 hour MMO. You said it was a bad idea, and from the start and in retrospect, it probably was. Regardless, it's an MMO, it's free, and it's technically in 3D, as requested.
Some could argue it was a joke taken too far... but it works!
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push