Some general questions....

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
sunday
Prole

Some general questions....

Post by sunday »

Hi,

It's been a while since i last time checked on the progress of love2d, and i must say the future looks very bright for this framework. I'm currently using another game / engine / framework ( Cocos2dx - Cocos Creator ) which is very good, already created it a game with it, but would like to create the same game using love2d, even though, i'm used to oop ( Javascript ) , still, would like to try out lua and it's human friendly syntax. So here are my questions:

1) Where i come from which is node based, one can change the properties of a node, like:

node.x = 50
node. width = 240
etc.....

I was looking at the love2d api but having some difficulty trying to change the width, height of an image, for example:

Code: Select all

local ibis={}
ibis.image = love.graphics.newImage("ibismenugraphic.png")
ibis.x = 250
ibis.y = 250
ibis.width =50
ibis.height =50

function drawmenu()
      love.graphics.draw(ibis.image,20,20)

--  love.graphics.rectangle( ibis.image,ibis.x, ibis.y)
      end

2) Where can I find a road-map, and are there any plans for implementation within the [b]love2dapi[/b], of social network features like Game Center, Google Play, Admob, etc.......

3) Within the [b]config[/b] is there any way to turn on like a positional grid system of screen dimensions. In other words, if I set the dimensions to 1280 x 720, and i run main.lua within ZeroBrane Studio, i would like to see the dimensions in x,y coordinates on the screen of my game.

4) Any plans in the road-map, concerning implementation of a scene editor to make development a little more faster......

Would really appreciate any info / help concerning the above.....Thanks for your time and God Bless....

Sincerely,

Sunday
zorg
Party member

Re: Some general questions....

Post by zorg »

Hi.

1.) Lua tables is what you're looking for, those do allow member access with dots (and colons (:) as well, in some cases), but löve doesn't use them for its internal object types; those are C++, so on the lua side, they're (light) userdata. To put it simply, you'll need to use methods, as i'm assuming you never looked at the wiki pages for [wiki]Image[/wiki]s, for example. :3

(The only table löve gives you itself is the global love table... unless i forgot something else)

2.) Not sure if there is a roadmap, the closest would be you looking at the issues list on bitbucket, just click on "issue tracker" at the top of these forums. The wiki does have a version history page, which gets copied over from a file in the project source, i think (which is, again, on bitbucket)

Social network stuff can be done with external libraries, if you search these forums... maybe they have articles on the wiki as well, but don't quote me on that... also, the search function is a bit sucky, so you'll need some luck with it, maybe trying to search for "admob" will work.

3.) Not sure what you're asking here. You can code a function to show you the location of a pixel you're hovering above with the mouse cursor yourself, for example, or you could code a function that'd draw grids of whatever size. If it's something else, then do explain further.

4.) This is a framework, not an engine; it would be extremely limiting (to some). BUT! You can use a library for that. Can't name any off the top of my head though, i never needed to use one.

Also, don't take my probably stern-ish tone in the above paragraphs to heart too much, this is just an info dump. :3
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
sunday
Prole

Post by sunday »

Hi zorg,

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.... :awesome:

3.) Not sure what you're asking here. You can code a function to show you the location of a pixel you're hovering above with the mouse cursor yourself, for example, or you could code a function that'd draw grids of whatever size. If it's something else, then do explain further.

Something like below:

http://discuss.cocos2d-x.org/uploads/de ... e12256.png

You see the gird lines, with dimensions.....ect.....I noticed that there's an API for Canvas, but what i'm looking for is that to show dimensions via grid lines coordinates (x,y). I modified the config with dimensions ex: 1280 x 720 , and then have a flag within config to show gridlines with dimensions.....Or would i need to resort to a function to show.......Thanks again for the help / info........God Bless....

Sincerely,

Sunday
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

I think that yes, you'd need to code that yourself... i'd say "or use a lib", but i didn't see one that had this.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.