Necroposting!

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.

What should we do about old threads?

Block old threads
2%
Only let authors bump old threads
8%
Put a big warning at the top and bottom of the thread
39%
Make it hard to comment old threads
8%
Put an alert when commenting on old threads
29%
Don't show the quick reply option (only Full editor)
15%

Total votes: 62

Positive07
Party member

Re: Necroposting!

Post by Positive07 »

Sheepolution wrote:Can you show some examples? I haven't really noticed this so to me this isn't an issue. At least not something that is worth locking threads.
Here are three examples of necroposting: first, second, third
They have around 1 month of separation between each, it doesn't happen that often but it does happen...

EDIT: Yet another example of useless necroposting
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
Zireael
Party member

Post by Zireael »

Can we get a big bold warning asap? I almost necroposted on a 2 years old thread because I was looking up vivid and it's late here... :oops:
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

or we can just ignore it and move on with our lives. the biggest issue with necroposting is people pointing it out for no reason. Necroposting does no harm and it may be useful to the user posting to that thread.
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

I can't wait for this thread to get necroposted in a few years by someone unironically saying "I agree, we should have a warning!"
STI - An awesome Tiled library
LÖVE3D - A 3D library for LÖVE 0.10+

Dev Blog | GitHub | excessive ❤ moé
Sir_Silver
Party member

Post by Sir_Silver »

I'm sure now that you've mentioned it someone is going to write down on a piece of paper to do this. :P
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

bobbyjones wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:28 pm or we can just ignore it and move on with our lives. the biggest issue with necroposting is people pointing it out for no reason. Necroposting does no harm and it may be useful to the user posting to that thread.
It's mostly never helpful... API changed, comment doesn't really help, users of that thread most of the time are gone, so yeah that is most of the time never true... and if it's really helpful they will be able to post anyway, probably no one wants to block, at least that is what the poll says.

Also this warning is to benefit newcomers, making a new post is probably more helpful than commenting an old one, there are people who look at the number of comments and the date of the first post, and may not comment if it's old or there are many comments due to the issue probably being solved or outdated or just too much content to read.

This won't probably break anything, everything will go on normally just that it will be a little bit "harder" (due to some warnings?) to post on old threads. With the benefits I have already mentioned
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

Yes, but why go through the effort? It's pointless and I honestly don't understand why people get upset when it happens. It's like getting upset when the kids down the street are having fun.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

In my opinion, leading people astray by not making them see gigantic notices that the code they're most probably googled for is/may be long-obsolete, is unproductive and damaging to both their drive and knowledge.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
airstruck
Party member

Post by airstruck »

Maybe if we keep bumping this thread people will see it and not necropost. We'll just have a thread named "Necroposting" that always hangs around instead of occasional actual necroposting.
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

The issue with necroposting is that most people who do so come from Google, they aren't digging around the 40th page on the forum. The people come in from Google and don't notice the date of the thread, they just reply as if it were a new thread. They either offer useless advice or ask for help form people long gone about the code posted ages ago not working.

Whether it is annoying or not is irrelevant. A big ol' warning at the top and bottom of the thread saying THIS THREAD HAS NOT BEEN UPDATED IN A VERY LONG TIME. THE INFORMATION HERE COULD BE OUT OF DATE. PLEASE ASK YOUR QUESTION IN A NEW THREAD and removing the quick reply would probably help a lot, not just the annoyance factor, but also help these people get the help they are searching for instead of being chastised for attempting to help/be helped. It's not very welcoming to a new community when you ask for help and people jump on you for posting, or just plainly ignore you.
STI - An awesome Tiled library
LÖVE3D - A 3D library for LÖVE 0.10+

Dev Blog | GitHub | excessive ❤ moé