Quick question. Possible to create "expansions" to your game, releasing it in parts?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
yougetagoldstar
Prole

Quick question. Possible to create "expansions" to your game, releasing it in parts?

Post by yougetagoldstar »

Pretty much what the title says. I just started working with LOVE2d, but I thought I'd ask this now.

I haven't checked out love's capabilities for saving/loading game data, but I was wondering if it was possible to release a game, and then add onto the game with "expansions".
zorg
Party member

Re: Quick question. Possible to create "expansions" to your game, releasing it in parts?

Post by zorg »

In short, yes, it's possible.

Though it will depend heavily on many things, including whether it'll be a commercial release or not, if it will be, will it be on itch.io or steam, would you want to distribute expansions separately or via a custom auto-updater, and such minute details.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Beelz
Party member

Re: Quick question. Possible to create "expansions" to your game, releasing it in parts?

Post by Beelz »

Remember seeing this and this recently...

Code: Select all

if self:hasBeer() then self:drink()
else self:getBeer() end
GitHub -- Website
yougetagoldstar
Prole

Post by yougetagoldstar »

hmm... cool thanks for the info. can't wait for the day I get back to this topic.

and thanks again for those other links beelz.
Beelz
Party member

Post by Beelz »

No problem at all, my bookmarks folder is overflowing. :ultrahappy:

Code: Select all

if self:hasBeer() then self:drink()
else self:getBeer() end
GitHub -- Website