Is there any library which makes love more like Phaser?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
swissnetuzen
Prole

Is there any library which makes love more like Phaser?

Post by swissnetuzen »

I recently decided to pick up löve, but I feel dissatisfied with the level of abstraction. In Phaser, I simply specify a sprite's position, speed etc and they are automatically moved. In löve however, I'm required to draw every sprite each frame, handle everything by myself. I was wondering if there's any library which does this for me?
RaycatRakittra
Prole

Re: Is there any library which makes love more like Phaser?

Post by RaycatRakittra »

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

To clarify: LOVE is a framework, not an engine. It provides the functions needed to do things and doesn't really hold your hand. That attracts a certain group of people but it might not be your speed.

To answer your question, I believe there was a library called Zoetrope that tried this. It was more aligned towards Flixel devs but it didn't carry over with LOVE 0.10.x. If you're looking for a higher level of abstraction, you can always roll your own or move to an engine like Godot. There is a certain allure to creating your own abstractions. Give it a shot; you might enjoy the process and finer control.
Sometimes, I can code things.
yetneverdone
Party member

Re: Is there any library which makes love more like Phaser?

Post by yetneverdone »

swissnetuzen wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:46 pm I recently decided to pick up löve, but I feel dissatisfied with the level of abstraction. In Phaser, I simply specify a sprite's position, speed etc and they are automatically moved. In löve however, I'm required to draw every sprite each frame, handle everything by myself. I was wondering if there's any library which does this for me?
Hey, on a similar position, I came from game maker studio, which is very beginner friendly. Moving to Love however, resulted in more appeal for me and love for the framework. Love is very simple, you dont need any ide or gui stuffs, just plain codes unlike GM:S where it gives you a more of a system approach that limits the programmers' ideal functionality. The freedom that love gives is very open and that sort of gives me every little control I want.

All in all, it really depends on what you prefer, or in what form you are accustomed to. I suggest that you try Love a little longer and get the feel of it. Im pretty sure you will be brainwashed by it *world domination* *ahem*