Profiler

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: Profiler

Post by Robin »

vrld wrote:I don't think there should be a profiler in love, as this is not relevant to the gamer.
Exactly.

Bonus reply:
Luiji wrote:The "for once" is unrequired and only achieves making me feel bad about myself.
That's a good thing, right?
Help us help you: attach a .love.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Robin wrote:
Luiji wrote:The "for once" is unrequired and only achieves making me feel bad about myself.
That's a good thing, right?
Don't be so harsh..

OT: I see an opportunity here, we have a community, now we have a project, time for a community project.
Luiji
Party member

Post by Luiji »

The PIL page seems to be the most useful, thanks!
Good bye.
ghurk
Prole

Post by ghurk »

Id like to know how much cpu certain functions consume and check if current optimisation steps really bear fruit, or which are more efficient without always having to build further testing code to see results.

Id like to oppose what you said about "not being relevant to gamer" and "no memory leaks".
1. thing is, to check if you really stopped to use data when you intended to. To check if there are any arrays increasing in size to insane lengths, and to find out which, or when you reached memory threshold and want to decrease usage somewhere so you can implement something that will add to more player experience from game. More than memory usage, i am concerned about CPU usage as it is not so stable and its harder to check "by eye", in case you are optimising many parts of code with small cpu impact from each, its easy to not do so properly.

2. not relevant to gamer. when you try to build "applications", not "games", it becomes relevant. And yes, love2d is a great tool even to make applications for other developers, same as lua was great tool to make Love2d for us. And when you for example want to make an editor for your game, but also give it basic programming capabilities so people working on it can for example create quests, custom ais etc. on it, it becomes relevant too. not for "gamers", but for "users of your product".

I don't think there should be a profiler in love, as this is not relevant to the gamer.?

i think profiler is a great tool for developers, but which is not neccessary and love2d developers still have many things to focus on other than profiler, which will increase "gamers" experience, but i aswell think stuff like checking estimated memory used by textures is as useless as profiler and they should NOT include any basic font in love2d at all, to force developers to pick more beautiful one fitting their game, instead of forcing users to read the basic font when certain developers dont want to change it. also i think the yshould not make even the dumb lua to force all developers to go for the c++ which is actually best in its capabilities as-is and further stuff like lua or love2d only limit it more and more (u know how nice it actually is to have no usual memory leaks and to be able to draw efficiently tens of thousands of pictures at once without having to manage anything or learn to make game in year instead of studying c++ for 5 before u can do same, then why not profiler...). there goes my logic.
Sir_Silver
Party member

Post by Sir_Silver »