Support for saving/loading the Lua state?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: Support for saving/loading the Lua state?

Post by bartbes »

You can store all entity information too (just saying).
Anyway, I do agree that doing this is actually way too much work, look at this function for storing a table:

Code: Select all

function storetable(t, namespace)
    for i, v in pairs(t) do
        write(string.format("%s = %s\n", tostring(i), makegoodstringthingy(v)))
    end
end
NOTE: this isn't working code, it's just to illustrate how repetitive and/or boring it is, just think of makegoodstringthingy()

NOTE2: If this doesn't make any sense to you, don't worry, that means you're a normal human being.
Kuromeku
Party member

Post by Kuromeku »

I appreciate what you're saying and I've already made a system for that but it'd be better to implement that addon/module by default or tell me how I can compile it myself and use it for Love, because it saves userdata and functions and stuff - it's cool.
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

No, I will not add that module, because only pure Lua data would persist, and it would no doubt lead to confusion. Data present on the GPU (such as textures) would obviously not be restorable, even if the entire VM is saved to a file.
Kudomiku wrote:I want it to load exactly how it was, entities with their exact position, angles, and any custom info set for them.
I agree that it would be awesome, but I'm afraid it's not feasible. ^^
Kuromeku
Party member

Post by Kuromeku »

Why can't you tell me how to compile it and use with it Love myself?
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

Kudomiku wrote:Why can't you tell me how to compile it and use with it Love myself?
I think it is because your tone is too demanding.
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
Kuromeku
Party member

Post by Kuromeku »

Could you, master, please inform me on how to consolidate the assortment myself and how to take advantage of the recapitulated package in Love respectively.

That better?
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

One has to know pluto to know how to compile it and to be able to integrate it into LÖVE (or use it with LÖVE). Read pluto's manual or ask it's developers or users instead of asking somebody who doesn't know it.
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
Kaze
Party member

Post by Kaze »

qubodup wrote:One has to know pluto to know how to compile it and to be able to integrate it into LÖVE (or use it with LÖVE). Read pluto's manual or ask it's developers or users instead of asking somebody who doesn't know it.
I'd do it if I had a compiler :( ..
Kuromeku
Party member

Post by Kuromeku »

qubodup wrote:One has to know pluto to know how to compile it and to be able to integrate it into LÖVE (or use it with LÖVE). Read pluto's manual or ask it's developers or users instead of asking somebody who doesn't know it.
One should understand that the source is included with the package, I understand how to use from the documentation supplied; but I require one's self to compose the addon into a readable Lua form.
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

Kudomiku wrote:Could you, master, please inform me on how to consolidate the assortment myself and how to take advantage of the recapitulated package in Love respectively.

That better?
:D Hahaha
qubodup wrote:I think it is because your tone is too demanding.
No, not at all. ^^ It's because I don't know anything about Pluto, and I really need to deal with exams right now.