will we ever find love on the web?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
hertzcastle
Party member

will we ever find love on the web?

Post by hertzcastle »

hi.
will it ever be possible to embed a love game onto a web page flash styleee?
would be awesome as flash is way too slow and restricted.
x
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: will we ever find love on the web?

Post by bartbes »

I guess rude isn't ready to put love into browsers yet.
Anyway this would require a huge amount of users before this would actually work, and there are a lot of security issues with this.
Or: this will create a huge amount of users and decreases security issues.
Ah we'll see, rude will give the definitive answer.
Skofo
Party member

Post by Skofo »

I doubt that will happen until the libraries which make up LOVE (OpenGL, SDL, FreeType etc.) become web-runnable. I may be wrong, but LOVE seems to be a wrapper for these libraries, bringing them together with Lua in a way which makes game programming as straightforward and simplified as possible without getting much in the way. The libraries which LOVE uses are an integral part of its functionalities, so you'd need to make those libraries runnable through the web before LOVE is able to do that.

If you want an alternative web platform to make games with, you can always use Java or Javascript. ^^ These things are actually built to run on web pages.
Working on: Viator
Need a 64-bit Debian package for LÖVE? Here it is!
Kaze
Party member

Post by Kaze »

Skofo wrote:I doubt that will happen until the libraries which make up LOVE (OpenGL, SDL, FreeType etc.) become web-runnable. I may be wrong, but LOVE seems to be a wrapper for these libraries, bringing them together with Lua in a way which makes game programming as straightforward and simplified as possible without getting much in the way. The libraries which LOVE uses are an integral part of its functionalities, so you'd need to make those libraries runnable through the web before LOVE is able to do that.

If you want an alternative web platform to make games with, you can always use Java or Javascript. ^^ These things are actually built to run on web pages.
Or Unity.
Skofo
Party member

Post by Skofo »

Kaze wrote:
Skofo wrote:I doubt that will happen until the libraries which make up LOVE (OpenGL, SDL, FreeType etc.) become web-runnable. I may be wrong, but LOVE seems to be a wrapper for these libraries, bringing them together with Lua in a way which makes game programming as straightforward and simplified as possible without getting much in the way. The libraries which LOVE uses are an integral part of its functionalities, so you'd need to make those libraries runnable through the web before LOVE is able to do that.

Or Unity.
I don't like Unity. It's pretty clunky even on high-end computers (from my experience with Velociraptor Safari), you can only develop with it on OSX, you can only run games made utilizing it on Windows and Mac [and Wii and iPhone], and it's proprietary software. My personal advice is to stay away from it when you can.
Working on: Viator
Need a 64-bit Debian package for LÖVE? Here it is!
Chris016
Prole

Post by Chris016 »

Why not java? it would require more programming on the developers. Ive looked at java before its not hard. It has its own build in gfx system.

And if you are a ease with messing with it i would love to take part in it. Also Java has support for SDL.

And i bet you could find a setup for java+lua easily. Lua is ported anywhere these days, that is why there bigger then squirrel and other mini langauges.

Or look towards another type of thing such as Javascript. I mean Javascript can surly handle clientside programming just source codes are open. Which can be blocked or can be hidden in a web page.

There are more and more Javascript Gfx engines if anyone has seen them around.

http://gamequery.onaluf.org/
http://www.renderengine.com/

If you wanted the best portable system you could get i would say go javascript. It is in web standards now and how every browser supports it, If it does not then no one is really using it except for needed times.

Problem with javascript is that it is not lua. Or nor can it compile. But then you could play it on PS3, Wii, Psp, Ipod touch/phone. Then lets not forget the PC of course and Macs.

But back to the java thing ive come in contact with a very interesting language that compiles in javaVM. But has an entirely new scripting approach to it. The language is a type of clone of VB6, Which the developers worked hard to make it just that. I personally think VB6 was the last good Basic Langauge. Well the last good Rad Basic Language.

http://www.jabaco.org/

Compiles to a webapplet and all. Just in beta
zapwow
Prole

Post by zapwow »

Flash might be possible one day, since there's a lua VM for Actionscript in early stages of development.