Would A Classic Doom Inspired Game Work In LOVE2D?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Jeeper
Party member

Re: Would A Classic Doom Inspired Game Work In LOVE2D?

Post by Jeeper »

Jasoco wrote:Unity costs a lot to port to iOS, Android and other devices and consoles. And they charge you separately for each one. So unless you're a big studio or an Indie with a Kickstarter you're only going to get OS X and Windows ports. Plus you don't get all the good features either unless you spend even more money.

Unity is expensive if you want to do the good stuff.

Of course if you want real 3D for free there's always Java. But it's Java. And Java isn't Lua. It's much harder to understand how to do things without a lot of learning. (Maybe you can fly to Sweden and have Notch tutor you on how he does all his wonderful things so easily)
Unity pro costs $1,500 (or $75/month), that is not too much even if you are a hobbyist. You are right that them charging another $1500 for android pro and another $1500 for ios pro is quite greedy, but again, if you actually finish and publish games it should not take all that long to break even.

I don't have a lot of experience when it comes to 3d in Lua or Unity. That being said, are you really saying that one could make an actual 3d game in Löve that could stand up to a unity or unreal engine game (both when it comes to the final result and the time spent). I ask this because I am genuinely interested as I would prefer to use Lua if I would ever find myself wanting to make something 3d.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Jeeper wrote:Unity pro costs $1,500 (or $75/month), that is not too much even if you are a hobbyist. You are right that them charging another $1500 for android pro and another $1500 for ios pro is quite greedy, but again, if you actually finish and publish games it should not take all that long to break even.
Only if you don't lose a hell of a lot of sales due to piracy. And $4,500 just to be able to put your games on the most popular mobile platforms is a pretty big amount if you're just a hobbyist. It's telling when you notice that the less popular mobile platforms, Windows Phone, Windows Store and BlackBerry, are free with Pro but iOS and Android cost out the wazoo.
Jeeper wrote:I don't have a lot of experience when it comes to 3d in Lua or Unity. That being said, are you really saying that one could make an actual 3d game in Löve that could stand up to a unity or unreal engine game (both when it comes to the final result and the time spent). I ask this because I am genuinely interested as I would prefer to use Lua if I would ever find myself wanting to make something 3d.
Of course not. Just don't expect to do the really cool stuff for free. At least the free Unity can do OS X and Windows, but there's still a lot of missing features. (All the really cool stuff requires the Pro version.) But if you want to prototype something and test the waters, then maybe later have a Kickstarter when people start showing interest just to pay for it.

That said, if you're serious about 3D then yes, Löve isn't the place to start. My experience with 3D is riddled with garbagecollection issues and unpredictable framerate. Plus you have to code it all yourself. It's really more of a hobby thing. An "I can do that because it's cool" thing. If you release a Löve game in 3D, good for you. Just don't expect anything amazingly groundbreaking without a bit of work.

That also said, this thread was about "fake" 3D. Not actual 3D. DOOM and Wolfenstein are not 3D. They're 2D projected upwards to give the impression of 3D and both are totally doable. Maps are either a simple grid of tiles and objects (Wolf) or a list of polygons with height data. (DOOM) Wolfenstein-style is easier to do, but I'm sure someone could make a DOOM-style engine with a bit of work and playing around with BSP trees and other stuff like that. The textured floors and ceilings would really be the harder part to pull off on both engines since the method the original DOOM and later Wolf clones, that had textured floors and ceilings, is way too slow for Lua. But with a few shaders it's totally possible. Since DOOM has varying height floors and ceilings you would have to draw each floor and ceiling segment separately whereas with Wolfenstein you draw one floor and one ceiling. Also Wolfensteins raycasting is much simpler since it's tile-based whereas DOOM's is based on line segments and an engine would need BSP trees to split maps into pieces that can be handled much faster to prevent iterating over the entire map all at once. (The reason you can make a huge DOOM map and still get a fast framerate because the map editor will take its time going through every sector in the map to create a tree full of lists of what other sectors can be seen from every other sector so when you enter a sector it simply refers to that sectors table to see what other sectors it should consider for rendering. Without this you'd be iterating over every single sector, including ones that are behind you or off in the distance behind solid walls or way out in the wilderness where you'd never even be able to see, which wastes a lot of CPU time and gets even worse when you have hundreds and thousands of sectors each with at least three linedefs to check every frame.) With work and some ingenuity you could pull it off fine.
Muris
Party member

Post by Muris »

I thought the unity for android / ios also costed some money. When I started my current project, I did make some testings with love2d + lua, but eventually I decided to go more close to the origin of android device and go with java + libgdx. Now after coding for a while, I can't honestly say that I am too happy with the choice that I have made. If only had I known beforehand how tedious the ui-coding with libgdx is, I would have chosen Love2d. I have actually been considering of rewriting most of my code for several times to work with lua + love2d.

Anyways to the point, after starting my project, which is maybe 2 months old now, I recently stumpled upon this site: http://blogs.unity3d.com/2013/05/21/put ... developer/

According to the post there you can actually port to android and ios with free unity. I am not sure if you can sell your product but they changed the license over a year ago.

At least according to some pages you can sell your product with free version aswell, as long as the revenue is under $150k.

But still I think this free version limits you with render to texture option, so some cooler stuffs are unreachable, althuogh with my skills this probably wouldn't really be a problem I think.

Still in terms of 2d I definitely choose lua + love2d over unity, but I never have checked out their 2d-thing, which came out some time ago.

Edit: Something that I thought of, does love2d support windows phone, because if it does that would definitely be one point more for actually porting my code, although there isn't that much to begin with. It would probably take 3-4 days to do so.
nfey
Citizen

Post by nfey »

Jeeper wrote:
nfey wrote:Because making a 3D game in a modern engine like Unity is exponentially more complicated, expensive and time-consuming
Not quite sure I agree on that, if you want to make a fullscale "real" 3d game, doing it in löve rather than Unity would be a lot harder, take a lot longer and yield a lot worse results.
As Jasoco pointed out, I was talking about pseudo-3D in Love vs. full modern 3D in Unity. You are right, but it wasn't the comparison I was making :).

I would add another reason to the list of reasons why one would try to implement a pseudo3D engine in a 2D framework: in order to perfect one's craft. Contrary to the promises of online programming language courses and advocates of the "everyone should code" movement, writing software is hard and writing good software is even more so. As with most crafts, you can get your programming/designing/documenting skills up through various means, but the biggest component is good'ol fashioned, honest, hard work. And if it's hard to keep motivated to work on a side project in order to experiment various things and the only thing that's keeping your interest is making a DOOM clone in Love... why not?
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

nfey wrote:
Jeeper wrote:
nfey wrote:Because making a 3D game in a modern engine like Unity is exponentially more complicated, expensive and time-consuming
Not quite sure I agree on that, if you want to make a fullscale "real" 3d game, doing it in löve rather than Unity would be a lot harder, take a lot longer and yield a lot worse results.
As Jasoco pointed out, I was talking about pseudo-3D in Love vs. full modern 3D in Unity. You are right, but it wasn't the comparison I was making :).
If you read my previous post its quite clear that I understood that, I even said that it is cool and very useful for some games

What I was commenting was in regards to this:
Jasoco wrote: Of course if you want real 3D for free there's always Java. But it's Java. And Java isn't Lua. It's much harder to understand how to do things without a lot of learning. (Maybe you can fly to Sweden and have Notch tutor you on how he does all his wonderful things so easily)
Jasoco wrote: Only if you don't lose a hell of a lot of sales due to piracy.
I doubt that piracy would be any issue, games make more money than ever. Maybe huge tripple A titles can benifit from DRM and such, but smaller indie games have nothing to fear, at least based on personal experience.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Jeeper wrote:I doubt that piracy would be any issue, games make more money than ever. Maybe huge tripple A titles can benifit from DRM and such, but smaller indie games have nothing to fear, at least based on personal experience.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... e-paid-for

It happens. Especially with Android. Not as much with iOS but still a large percentage in some cases. Even if your game is $3.
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

Jasoco wrote:
Jeeper wrote:I doubt that piracy would be any issue, games make more money than ever. Maybe huge tripple A titles can benifit from DRM and such, but smaller indie games have nothing to fear, at least based on personal experience.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... e-paid-for

It happens. Especially with Android. Not as much with iOS but still a large percentage in some cases. Even if your game is $3.
It is a bit wrong to think that all pirated copies are a direct loss as the person otherwise would have paid for your app. In fact it might be just the oposite, there are a lot of studies that show that piracy actually increases the revenue and more people end up buying the game. (https://www.google.se/webhp?sourceid=ch ... es%20sales)
pacman
Citizen

Post by pacman »

Are there any good games on mobile?
I'm not surprised people don't pay for toilet gaming.
nfey
Citizen

Post by nfey »

I'm no expert, but to me mobile gaming seems like a very immature market, both in terms of the quality of products and of the consumer culture. It's flooded with clones, poorly made games, one-hit wonders so it's very difficult to stand out from the noise; as for the consumer, don't want to go into the whole PC gaming master race argument, but there's few of them that will actually appreciate a good game and the effort needed to make it, as opposed to the people who just want to poke the screen and see pretty lights moving around while the metro gets them to their destination - if it's free it's only a bonus and legality doesn't seem high on the priority list.

Piracy on PC or consoles is a different thing. I'm leaning more towards Jeeper's POV, I don't think indie devs are necessarily targeted, nor do I think energy spent on DRM at this level is well spent. But this is from observing other people's indie titles make it to market, I don't have first hand experience. Maybe we've got a succesful indie dev among us that can shed some light :)
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Here's a example of raycasting engine done in LOVE, complete with floors, transparent blocks too.
Attachments
raycasting.love
(737.47 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster