Developing directly on the Android system

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
easy82
Party member

Re: Developing directly on the Android system

Post by easy82 »

ivan wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:05 am All the good asset creation tools like Photoshop, Audacity, etc are NOT available for Android so you're not going to get much work done.
And if you just plan to do strictly programming, then you're still going to need a few windows open so you can review the documentation, tutorials, etc - in the best case it would be very clunky/slow without a good computer.
You may be able to edit some simple configuration files on your Android but you need a computer for any kind of serious development.
I enjoy developing with Love2D on my mobile. :) True, it's not for serious work, but quite fun, I must tell.

Here's a quote from this thread: https://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=82913
RamiLego4Game wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:08 pmFun Fact:
I programmed 50% of this project using my phone, till now I switch between the pc and the mobile :3 .
RamiLego4Game
Citizen

Post by RamiLego4Game »

easy82 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:01 pm Here's a quote from this thread: https://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=82913
RamiLego4Game wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:08 pmFun Fact:
I programmed 50% of this project using my phone, till now I switch between the pc and the mobile :3 .
Thanks dude :3

Developing on Android is pretty fun for me, but eventually you may need a BlueTooth keyboard for some serious

Here's a list of the apps I use:
- LÖVE for Android: To run the games with !
- DroidEdit: The only and the best editor for Android, but it lags with long files, you may have to tweak the syntax settings a little.
- Pixly: If I want to do any kind of pixel art outside from LIKO-12
- Pocket Git: To push updates to Github and pull for switching to PC.
- ES Filemanager: To view the appdata folder, and copy some files.
- Offline LÖVE documentation generated from love-api table.
- Lua quick reference (Printed): I use it for both PC and Mobile.
- Hacker's Keyboard: Contains a lot of the missing keys, plus the experiemental transparent theme.
- HexDroid: If you have some binary files to deal with, then this will be your friend.
- Sigma Calculator: Advanced Calculator, I use it for converting between Hex, Bin and Dec.

* Note: sometimes you may end up running logcat on the pc, incase of debugging or such, or you may setup a logs system.

I just notice how Android MultiWindow is great:
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

eventually you may need a BlueTooth keyboard
At which point you might as well just use a laptop. :)
RamiLego4Game
Citizen

Post by RamiLego4Game »

ivan wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:09 am
eventually you may need a BlueTooth keyboard
At which point you might as well just use a laptop. :)
Well yeah, you can't do work 100% using mobile, you'll need a computer for some tasks.
MasterLee
Party member

Post by MasterLee »

Or use an UMPC like upcoming GPD Pocket.