My own format of files OR not

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Tails_T
Prole

My own format of files OR not

Post by Tails_T »

First thing first: I'm not an English man... I think you know what that means =) (I do not know much English)

Intro:
For example in my project i have images.
These images have a .jpeg (or .png or .jpg) format. That is good, no really, but these format can read everybody, what i don't want to >=/

Question:
Can i convert these format to the something special, OR create a new format, but that can read by love.

If you don't understood the question, let me know. =)
NotARaptor
Citizen

Re: My own format of files OR not

Post by NotARaptor »

You want to use a custom image format, because you don't want other people to be able to read the image files?

It's not possible - no matter what you do, the code to load the images will be in Lua, so someone could read that and use it to load the files.

You could make it more difficult (but not impossible) for people to do... but why would you want to?
Tails_T
Prole

Post by Tails_T »

I mean
I use image (paper with password on it). This image lie in (for example) gfx/paperpassword.png. But i want this
gfx/paperpassword.pic (where PIC can't read without special program) because i don't need to do the quest for got the password i'll just open folder and read the image(WOW read the image =))
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Even if you convert it to your own super special format, the code that converts it back into an image is STILL in your project, and the code itself isn't protected either; sooner or later, someone will have enough drive to go through your code, find the decoding function, decode your art, and release it because you chose to hide it.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
pedrosgali
Party member

Post by pedrosgali »

I don't think obfuscation is his actual goal here, I think that the image in question contains an answer to a riddle or puzzle in the game which he is trying to hide from players so they must complete the challenge. I would build the image in code by drawing it to a canvas and display that so you don't actually have an image for them to look at, if they were still super keen however they could still check your code but if they are having to do that then your puzzle is too hard anyway.

Code: Select all

if not wearTheseGlasses() then
  chewing_on_trashcan = true
end
Tjakka5
Party member

Post by Tjakka5 »

Once you build your game the file will be hidden quite nicely.
Getting to it would already be a bit of work, and you're not going to be able to stop anybody who wants to find it with more hiding.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Oh, i misunderstood the intention.

I mean, yeah, you could totally use your own format, but ultimately it shouldn't matter too much.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

Internet exists, anyone who beat the game once could just upload a playthrough, rendering your efforts pointless.