Two objects with the same rotation look slightly offset

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
10c8
Prole

Two objects with the same rotation look slightly offset

Post by 10c8 »

Hello, I'm currently working on a card game. The player's hand is drawn as a fan of cards.
I'm trying to make a card glow when it is playable by drawing a slightly bigger (correctly offset) glow image, and this works just fine when the card isn't at an angle:
Captura de tela de 2018-04-26 18-38-45.png
Captura de tela de 2018-04-26 18-38-45.png (22.55 KiB) Viewed 2179 times
But once more cards are drawn to the hand and they start to angle, this happens:
Captura de tela de 2018-04-26 18-39-01.png
Captura de tela de 2018-04-26 18-39-01.png (119.19 KiB) Viewed 2179 times
The glow image is offset by a tiny bit depending on the angle of the card for some reason, even though I'm drawing them with basically the same code, except for an offset (the glow image is 260x360, the cards are 200x300):

Code: Select all

function Card:draw()
    local sprite
    local x = self.x
    local y = self.y

-- Check if we're offset visually
    if self.showX ~= self.dxShow or self.showY ~= self.dyShow then
        x = self.showX
        y = self.showY
    end

if self:getParent():getParent().isMine then
        -- Our hand, draw the cards
        sprite = self.tex_image

-- Glow if we're playable
        if self.isPlayable then
            local w, h = self.tex_glow:getDimensions()
            local o = (w - sprite:getWidth()) / 2

love.graphics.draw(self.tex_glow, x - o / 2, y - o / 2, self.rotation, self.xscale, self.yscale, self.xpivot, self.ypivot)
        end
    else
        -- Their hand, draw card backs
        sprite = assets.images.cards['back']
    end

love.graphics.draw(sprite, x, y, self.rotation, self.xscale, self.yscale, self.xpivot, self.ypivot)
end
EDIT: I tried using an outline glow shader, but I couldn't find any that worked.
pgimeno
Party member

Re: Two objects with the same rotation look slightly offset

Post by pgimeno »

The correct pivot point of the glow image is probably not self.xpivot, self.ypivot, since that's the card's pivot point. Find the right pivot of the glow image, and draw both the card and the glow at the same coordinates x, y.

You have not posted the code for calculating self.xpivot and self.ypivot, but if it is half the size of the card, then you need to do the same with the glow image's size for the glow image.
10c8
Prole

Re: Two objects with the same rotation look slightly offset

Post by 10c8 »

pgimeno wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:17 am The correct pivot point of the glow image is probably not self.xpivot, self.ypivot, since that's the card's pivot point. Find the right pivot of the glow image, and draw both the card and the glow at the same coordinates x, y.

You have not posted the code for calculating self.xpivot and self.ypivot, but if it is half the size of the card, then you need to do the same with the glow image's size for the glow image.
You're right! I got it to work with this:

Code: Select all

self.xpivot = sprite:getWidth() / 2
self.ypivot = sprite:getHeight()
--
local w, h = self.tex_glow:getDimensions()
local o = (w - sprite:getWidth()) / 2
local xpivot = w / 2
local ypivot = h - o

love.graphics.draw(self.tex_glow, x, y, self.rotation, self.xscale, self.yscale, xpivot, ypivot)