Windows 8 Metro Support

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
XTUX345
Prole

Windows 8 Metro Support

Post by XTUX345 »

Excuse me, but are there an plans to support the Windows 8 Metro interface in future LÖVE releases? I'm just a bit curious on the subject, and while I don't really need to know it could come in handy in the future, ;)
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: Windows 8 Metro Support

Post by Robin »

Not a dev, just curious. What would supporting Metro entail? What would LÖVE need to do, for instance?
Help us help you: attach a .love.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Robin wrote:Not a dev, just curious. What would supporting Metro entail? What would LÖVE need to do, for instance?
Maybe not so hard to do one day with LoveWeb because Metro apps can be done with Javascript.
XTUX345
Prole

Post by XTUX345 »

Robin wrote:Not a dev, just curious. What would supporting Metro entail? What would LÖVE need to do, for instance?
To be honest, I'm really not sure (currently downloading the Consumer Preview on a secondary pc), but you should be able to find more information at http://dev.windows.com/.
coffee wrote:Maybe not so hard to do one day with LoveWeb because Metro apps can be done with Javascript.
Probably true, although the current LoveWeb uses WebGL, correct? I don't believe Windows 8 natively supports that bit, and IE 10 doesn't natively support plugins, so I'm not entirely sure...
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

XTUX345 wrote:
To be honest, I'm really not sure (currently downloading the Consumer Preview on a secondary pc), but you should be able to find more information at http://dev.windows.com/.
A place with more detailed info http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/hh852650
Metro apps seems versatile about the language coded and Microsoft have done their work doing API's that perhaps could be ported to other languages. However not sure if things can be done outside Visual environment.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

XTUX345 wrote:
coffee wrote:Maybe not so hard to do one day with LoveWeb because Metro apps can be done with Javascript.
Probably true, although the current LoveWeb uses WebGL, correct? I don't believe Windows 8 natively supports that bit.
Correct sir. Microsoft has instead wrapped DirectX calls into their WinJS library for the javascript environment.

I've done some development for Metro already as it is. I made a little Flickr web viewer thing-a-majig. I'm not sure how LOVE would fit in since it seems to be entirely geared towards web services and not fullscreen games, but they do have a DirectX 3d pinball example that comes with the consumer preview. Seems like running it from the desktop is the best idea still.