Is there anything like a version manager for Löve?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Gaeel
Prole

Is there anything like a version manager for Löve?

Post by Gaeel »

Hi, lövers

I've been making games with löve for about ten years now, and so I have a collection of projects throughout löve versions ranging from 0.7 to 11.3 now, and it's a bit of a hassle working with these, because of the breaking API changes from version to version
I've used a conf.lua file with the correct version tagged each time, and so I'd like to be able to run the correct löve executable automatically when launching these projects from the command line. Similar to how nvm works for node.js

Right now I've just made myself a love-apps folder that contains all of the love.app versions I've used so far, and I make symbolic links in my local ~/bin folder so I can use whichever I like (love090 ./src if I want to run löve 0.9.0, for instance)

So main question is: is there a tool similar to nvm that will auto-run the correct löve version depending on the conf.lua file?
And if not: How do you manage your löve versions and projects if like me you have projects across a broad range of versions?
everything moves
4vZEROv
Party member

Re: Is there anything like a version manager for Löve?

Post by 4vZEROv »

You could make a batch file that read the love.version variable inside your projects & launch the good version of löve accordingly.
I saw a löve project that did exactly some times ago that but I can't find it.
Gaeel
Prole

Post by Gaeel »

Right, yeah, that was what I was thinking about, but before I went ahead and made it, I figured I'd check and see if someone made it already, or if there was some other solution that others were using
everything moves
ReFreezed
Party member

Post by ReFreezed »

Maybe have a look at this or this.
Tools: Hot Particles, LuaPreprocess, InputField, (more) Games: Momento Temporis
"If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

Or even this: https://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=85935 but I don't think it goes back as far as 0.7.
Sasha264
Party member

Post by Sasha264 »

Gaeel wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:00 am How do you manage your löve versions and projects if like me you have projects across a broad range of versions?
I store required love version inside every project :megagrin: Good thing it is small. And run script looks at inside folder for love.exe, not for global installed love.

Also that way it is easy to share with friends / contributors. Just download my folder / repository and click at run.bat
Instead of "you need to download love 0.9.2 I forget where and you need to remove your installed love if you have one and install that."