Sincronia [Alpha]

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Riot
Prole

Sincronia [Alpha]

Post by Riot »

Hi all!

This is my first game with Love2D!

It's a shoot'em'up, you use the mouse to aim, the left button to shoot and the arrows to move.
Using the u and p keys you can increase the power of your weapon.
When 5 enemies hits you the level is restarted but there is no point system implemented atm.

I grabbed the stars script on this forum, together with a script to have the spaceship aim at the mouse pointer. I used the hardoncollider to manipulate collisions.

I'd like to show you what I've got so long and to get some suggestions about what I did right and, especially, what I did wrong and could be made better. In particular, the game runs slow after a minute or less of playing. I tried to fix most of the memory leak problems, but probably something is still wrong.

Thanks!
Andrea

Edit: I almost forgot, I had to edit the hardoncollider library at line 296 in the init.lua file and comment that assert. Bringing it back into the code, results in errors getting throwed every time a bullet collide with one or more enemy. Any suggestion on this would be really appreciated, too. Thanks again!
Attachments
Sincronia.love
(50.59 KiB) Downloaded 404 times
tentus
Inner party member

Re: Sincronia [Alpha]

Post by tentus »

You can replace this line:

Code: Select all

if love.keyboard.isDown( "q" ) or love.keyboard.isDown( "escape" ) then
with this:

Code: Select all

if key == "q" or key == "escape" then
Same goes for the other similar lines in love.keypressed.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

This looks awfully familiar... Don't suppose that script you grabbed would be my learngameprogramming homework assignment #2?
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Riot
Prole

Post by Riot »

If I had used your script I would have stated it in the opening post :D Did you take a look at the main.lua? I checked your script and even if the game is practically the same, their sourcecode is kinda different.

Anyway, the scripts I used for the stars is from here
http://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2163
and for the mouse directions I used a part of this game here
http://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3667

Edit: I addressed most of the problems and everything looks fine now! :D The game is somewhat playable too and it looks like no memory is wasted even after playing it intensely :)

I'd just need to add some AI in there to have the enemy ships follow the player :)
Attachments
Sincronia.love
(57.18 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
Tesselode
Party member

Post by Tesselode »

You should definitely allow using WASD for movement.
Riot
Prole

Post by Riot »

Tesselode wrote:You should definitely allow using WASD for movement.
Done :)
Attachments
Sincronia.love
(57.74 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Controls act a bit slow, I can live with this for the movement, but a slow mouse is kind of annoying, especially in this kind of game.
Otherwise it seems to work pretty good. Time to make an actual game out of this gameplay.
Riot
Prole

Post by Riot »

bartbes wrote:Controls act a bit slow, I can live with this for the movement, but a slow mouse is kind of annoying, especially in this kind of game.
Otherwise it seems to work pretty good. Time to make an actual game out of this gameplay.
Thanks for your suggestion. That was actually a choice to make the game a little more difficult, but I can understand that and I increased the rotation speed.

Is the game running smoothly for you or is a little cranky?
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

It seemed a little slow when it first started, but that disappeared pretty quickly.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Hello Andrea! I'm still learning/lurking Lua/Love forum and actually this is my first message here. I think your demo is great with nice clean code. Not bad for a first game in LOVE! This project have great potential to improve.

Can I suggest for a next version that stars only scroll when your ship also moves? (against ship direction of course). The effect would be great. Perhaps as first step of IQ you could put enemy ships chasing/following you (at slower speed).

The weapon multiple firing system is great but too hidden cause only watching code watching code people notice that. Better alert for that feature printing the keys on screen.

Good luck for project! :)