RPG project

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Tesselode
Party member

RPG project

Post by Tesselode »

This should be an interesting programming challenge, as this isn't the kind of game I usually make. Anyway, it's going to have an emphasis on battling over a well-defined story, so it will probably involve some exploration. I'm going to try to make the battle system unique in some way, and it will probably borrow some elements from the Mario and Luigi series. Also, I have a feeling that it's going to come out kind of similar to Earthbound.
Last edited by Tesselode on Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: I'm going to make an RPG

Post by Jasoco »

Good luck because that's been my dream too. Especially if it's old school with turn based battles, but enemies that you can see on the playfield and dodge or attack at will.
tsturzl
Party member

Post by tsturzl »

Well just to bring some ideas to the table, me and my artist came up with an interesting combat system for a game we plan to develop in the near future called Trail of Death, a zombie Apocalypse Oregon trail inspired game. Basically you create weapons to add to your carriage to plow through zombies, but the interesting part is you actually build the weapons using box2D objects.

You can create a catapult, sling shot, battering ram, or what ever you please and bind it to a hotkey. It might be tough to implement but I did a similar project in python using ODE 2 years back.

Depending on your games theme you could use a similar concept. Maybe if its a medieval styled game you could play a rogue/assassin who has to set up traps to kill/catch victims, or you could do something like in Trine where you have to navigate physics based puzzles. The traps could be pulley systems, or like the traps in oblivion, and you could use the trap to knock out guards so you can easily attack your victim or something.

I'm not telling you how to make your game, just trying to give you some ideas. I'd hate to see another Zelda or diablo.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

There is a lot of RPG sub-genres but as I can see you gonna follow more the classic Japanese RPG style. For what I search around Jasoco have a great experience on that and probably can "mentor" you on the project. His project is probably the best classic LOVE RPG!

Do that dream is in hold Jasoco? The thread http://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=888 haven't a update for some months now... :/

Anyway I'm glad about your project. Good luck Tesselode!
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

My "Adventure Engine" needs a complete rewrite. It was started as my first Löve project and uses a lot of old outdated coding techniques and has horribly messy code. I plan on recreating it the way it is now for the most part using the new techniques at some point in the future though. It is more of a Zelda game than an RPG engine.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Jasoco wrote:My "Adventure Engine" needs a complete rewrite. It was started as my first Löve project and uses a lot of old outdated coding techniques and has horribly messy code. I plan on recreating it the way it is now for the most part using the new techniques at some point in the future though. It is more of a Zelda game than an RPG engine.
I tested it and seems quite good. I hope you do something with the project, don't deserve be abandoned after such hard work. Yes it seems more an adventure SNES game than a pure JRPG but the RPG spirit is kinda there.
Ellohir
Party member

Post by Ellohir »

I tried it too, and I think that it was very good! That cutscene was gorgeus! And the "Jasoco presents" was nice too xD

Good work ;)
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Ellohir wrote:I tried it too, and I think that it was very good! That cutscene was gorgeus! And the "Jasoco presents" was nice too xD

Good work ;)
Actually I take it back. Horrible work! Disgusting! "Stupid Zooey Deschanel"? Oh Jasoco, oh, why? ;)

Back to serious, what I most love in the game is the animations/sequences scripts. I will have to do something in very small scale for my project.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

coffee wrote:
Jasoco wrote:My "Adventure Engine" needs a complete rewrite. It was started as my first Löve project and uses a lot of old outdated coding techniques and has horribly messy code. I plan on recreating it the way it is now for the most part using the new techniques at some point in the future though. It is more of a Zelda game than an RPG engine.
I tested it and seems quite good. I hope you do something with the project, don't deserve be abandoned after such hard work. Yes it seems more an adventure SNES game than a pure JRPG but the RPG spirit is kinda there.
There is no abandonment. It just needs to be rewritten completely from scratch using newer techniques than the jumbled mess it is now. A Zelda-style game and RPG have been my dream since I was in grade school. And that project was about the 4th time I restarted writing it in a different programming language. I started with TNT Basic a few years ago until that fell apart, then moved to QuickBASIC as a sort of retro joke, got myself a working prototype in JavaScript/HTML5 before discovering Löve.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Jasoco wrote:There is no abandonment. It just needs to be rewritten completely from scratch using newer techniques than the jumbled mess it is now. A Zelda-style game and RPG have been my dream since I was in grade school. And that project was about the 4th time I restarted writing it in a different programming language. I started with TNT Basic a few years ago until that fell apart, then moved to QuickBASIC as a sort of retro joke, got myself a working prototype in JavaScript/HTML5 before discovering Löve.
Nice to know. But your code already seem so organized and efficient (at least for me) but it's your call! Your html5 prototype was full functional? A lot of hard work there. Some coding engines like Monkey (http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/) auto-convert the original code to other scripts like HTML5/JS, ActionScript (and well Android, iOS and XNA!). Would be a dream if LOVE output to html5/JS too. :D