Lilove (Bootable Linux+Love ISO)

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
matej
Prole

Lilove (Bootable Linux+Love ISO)

Post by matej »

Hello.

This will be brainstrorming for "Lilove" Bootable Linux+Love ISO project...
How will it works? There will be this distro types.

- Live CD (ISO)
- Live USB (IMG)
- HDD Install from CD (ISO)
- HDD Install from USB (IMG)

It will be UBUNTU (no GUI)+LOVE Framework (fullscreen)+Super Minimal GUI.

There will be Super Minimal GUI:
Load Game - load game (SD, USB, HDD)
Download - download "LOVE" file -> game from internet (ftp? website?)
Setup - gamepad, mouse, keyboard, volume and graphics options
Turn Off - shut down computer

I want to make X86-386, X64 and ARM (OlinuxinoLIME, RaspberryPI) distros...
So we will have something like game console from any computer, linux board.

Who will join this project, brainstorming?
Last edited by matej on Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BozoDel
Party member

Re: Lilove (Bootable Linux+Love ISO)

Post by BozoDel »

VaporOS? heahaeheah
I think having multiple versions of LÖVE won't hurt.

How about adding QJoyPad to it?

I think the Raspberry Pi will need to use the OpenGL ES thingie. I think slime was working on that, and maybe fysx too, not sure.
matej
Prole

Post by matej »

Thanks I will send them PMs...
First I will try to do 32bit X86 version.
Than distros for superlowcost ARM (30EURO RaspberryPI,
and OlinuxinoLIME) plus X86 64bit and MAC.
BozoDel
Party member

Post by BozoDel »

Hm, what are you gonna do about the filesystem? It'll need a place to save stuff.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

i think JesseH (a cool löver) had a similar idea back in the IRC.

you should get a artist to draw some proper graphics, maybe a retro like layout?

also the download section should use Vapor if josefnpat allows it.
BozoDel
Party member

Post by BozoDel »

jjmafiae wrote:you should get a artist to draw some proper graphics, maybe a retro like layout?
but teh babis ar so purty
jjmafiae wrote:also the download section should use Vapor if josefnpat allows it.
I second that. But it makes me think of some things.

First, I think not all games in the current version of Vapor will be updated to 0.9.0. Maybe Lilove could have multiple versions of LÖVE.

Also, one great thing about Vapor is that it allows pretty much anyone to get in. Also, it works a bit like a Flash games website, it gives a chance to very small games that people usually wouldn't bother downloading. But I also think the coolest games get mixed up in a pool of not so good games... maybe there's a way to deal with that?

I don't know if ratings would be the best way. Ratings would work out perfectly:
1- if everybody would rate consciously, but I got loads of examples of the contrary from Google Play, like people going "hey, looks good, I'm gonna download it, five stars!" or saying "it's awesome, five stars!" but effectively giving it one star.
2- if everybody would rate using the same metrics, but people tend to do this subjectively. Two people might find a game reasonably good, but one of them will give it three stars (just good), and the other will give it five stars (as there's nothing wrong with it).

Not to mention the fact that giving grades is an attempt to simplify things, but it's no objective measure of anything. I've grown fond of the idea that when you review something, you don't give it a grade, as it would reduce that unique piece of art to a number.

The whole evaluation system would require a server and logins (we don't want anonymous spammers), which is more trouble.

So... maybe a community managed spotlight? We could even divide it into categories and stuff. I'm thinking more of lenght-related categories, as not to hurt very small but very good games. I'm not too fond of dividing things into genres, as there's often no clear border between them (and a genre search could be done by searching the descriptions, I guess).
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

BoozeDel wrote:but teh babis ar so purty
i was talking about the buttons.
matej
Prole

Post by matej »

OK first I will make minimal Ubuntu Live CD, USB img with OpenBox, all Love versions, file commander (ftp support) and qJoyPad, web browser...
After that I will do custom theme for OpenBox, nice wallpaper, HTML5 shortcuts on desktop to love website, forum, games cloud.
Maybe I will add some useful apps as coding editor, sprite maker, map maker, pixel art paint, music tracker, chip tracker, wave editor too... So it will be nice dev distro too...
I will try to do very fast OS for older PCs or notebooks... And small as possible (for old USBs or mini DVD-RWs)...
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Sounds good.
AKAdelta
Prole

Post by AKAdelta »

I could create nice looking buttons and a new background for you. We could keep the babies. The buttons would look something like this: