What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
JME
Prole

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by JME »

I am working on this post.
If you understand me or not, that is not my problem.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Been working on rewriting and optimizing my 3D engine. Now chunk-based runs much faster by utilizing global world-cache point and triangle lists for world objects that will never move. This speeds up the engine quite a bit and allows for a little more detail.

You may remember this:

Well, it doesn't look much like that anymore. But I'm getting back there slowly but surely...

And in case you were wondering, the screen on the computer does animate with moving (low-detail) circles and a moving scanline for effect. (By use of a canvas that gets updated every frame and then drawn to the screen polygon as if it were any other image) And in the "sandbox" you can move around the 3D world in any direction freely and it updates fast. Plus the clouds move in 3D too. Depth fog is a work in progress. And I'm most proud of the menu GUI library I wrote myself.

Textured polygons do slow down the engine slightly for each one I have to draw due to them being pixel effects. (Library created by xXxMoNkEyMaNxXx) So I'm hoping to eventually be able to natively through Löve draw warped images in the same way without needing to require pixel effects. (Especially since this library has been known to work completely differently on different platforms and configurations for some reason.)

The other bottleneck is of course calculating the 2D screen location of every applicable on-screen 3D point every frame. So models have to remain simple enough.

Just in case people were worried my project was dead. Nope. Far from it. Making progress every day since I started rewriting the engine for a more object-oriented based world format which allows me to place 3D worlds anywhere like the title screen. And eventually a simple 3D world will be drawn to the little computer screen. I plan on using this neato pseudo-Classic Macintosh computer for the titlescreen's "Options" menu.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

... is that Abed?
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Working on an SRPG. It's gonna be multiplayer, but for practice we're making a smaller single player prototype. My friend who I'm working on this with started writing the rendering system: http://cl.ly/image/1z1t26100146 (4mb gif)
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Robin wrote:... is that Abed?
Yep. And on the other side is Wolf-Hat Kate.
StoneCrow
Party member

Post by StoneCrow »

Actually bagged some paid work making a highly scriptable and editable game for CoronaSDK, which by the way I highly do not recommend Its stupid and ramrods you into using its weird systems, just steal its idea for timed functions and be done with it. (art is just my placeholders to demonstrate my code)

Also dreaming of the day when I or anyone else has discovered a way to feed 4 x and y corner positions into a draw in love2d for an image, already got a load of scripts and code for a huge planetary god-game as soon as anyone works this one out.
Dull but sincere filler.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

StoneCrow wrote: Also dreaming of the day when I or anyone else has discovered a way to feed 4 x and y corner positions into a draw in love2d for an image, already got a load of scripts and code for a huge planetary god-game as soon as anyone works this one out.
You mean 0.9.0's Geometries?
StoneCrow
Party member

Post by StoneCrow »

bartbes wrote:You mean 0.9.0's Geometries?
Wow this will be better than hl3 :neko: !
Dull but sincere filler.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

bartbes wrote:
StoneCrow wrote: Also dreaming of the day when I or anyone else has discovered a way to feed 4 x and y corner positions into a draw in love2d for an image, already got a load of scripts and code for a huge planetary god-game as soon as anyone works this one out.
You mean 0.9.0's Geometries?
If this does what I am hoping it does, then it'll make my project, the one above, run so much smoother and look so much better.

I tried to run my project in the current 0.9.0 and it kept giving errors due to changed and removed things. And since the documentation isn't finished then I had to put it off for a while until I research how to make it work right.
hryx
Party member

Post by hryx »

Jasoco, I'm still waiting on pins and needles for your Star Fox clone. I swear, seeing it is one of the few things that warms my heart.

What am I working on? A level editor for a resurrected project. Here he is wearing his first spritesheet. Aww, how cute, he mixed up his arguments to love.graphics.drawq!
5150ycf.png
5150ycf.png (47.18 KiB) Viewed 315 times