[SOLVED (case sensitive .zip)] .love and .exe won't run

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Berzee
Prole

[SOLVED (case sensitive .zip)] .love and .exe won't run

Post by Berzee »

Hi friends! Here is a .love file for a hexagonal map editor I'm making:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/240 ... ditor.love

If I unzip that into a directory and drag the directory onto love.exe, it runs fine. However, if I drag HexMapEditor.love directly onto love.exe (or if I try to make a HexMapEditor.exe and run it) then it shows the blue screen with white letters,

"An error has occurred that caused HexMapEditor to stop. You can notify Berzee about this." (the console error is pretty much the same thing)

I've made sure the dlls are in the right place, and I can turn other LOVE games into .exe's without problems. I'm using the zoetrope game library, but I've used that for other games too -- the only thing that I can think of that's different about this one is it is that I'm using love.filesystem. Again, it works fine before I zip it up, but is there some additional configuration I need to do to make the packaged version of the game work with file io?

Or quite possibly I've overlooked something basic and silly. =) But if anyone has seen similar problems before and has any ideas, I'd be much obliged for your thoughts. Thanks, internet!
Last edited by Berzee on Tue May 14, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
markgo
Party member

Re: .love and .exe won't run -- maybe a Filesystem issue?

Post by markgo »

Your selectBox.gif should be selectbox.gif. Odd that dragging a folder doesn't check for cases.
Berzee
Prole

Post by Berzee »

Bahaha, good find. =P That's very odd, I agree. By the by, how did you find it so quickly? Just ingenious intuition, or was there a debugging option I was overlooking?

The .love works now that I fixed the capitalization :)
weirdly, however, the resultant .exe is still failing.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Berzee wrote:Bahaha, good find. =P That's very odd, I agree. By the by, how did you find it so quickly? Just ingenious intuition, or was there a debugging option I was overlooking?
If you set t.release = false in conf.lua (or remove that line entirely, since it's false by default), the error screen will give you a Lua error message, e.g. "Could not open file gfx/selectBox.gif. Does not exist."

Windows' filesystems aren't case-sensitive, but zip is.
Berzee
Prole

Post by Berzee »

Ahh, that explains it. I knew I remembered getting more descriptive error messages, once upon a time. =)
Regarding the exe still not working, it sort of magically...is...now. So I guess it was just the case sensitivity after all. I feel a mixture of dumb and relieved. ^_^ Thanks again, you-all!