gamesquareIDE [BETA RELEASED!] *Update 1*

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
TechcoreStudio
Prole

Re: gamesquare IDE for Love2D!! (not yet released)

Post by TechcoreStudio »

Murii wrote:Are you going to add different themes?like a dark one? That would be awesome.Because i get sick to work in that god damn notepad++,i cant take no more!!
We are going to add custom themes for the IDE in the future. Currently though you can edit the script editor default colors etc..

Here is a picture in the preferences of what you can edit color-wise:
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

Only that Lua doesn't have constants. If you plan to have them anyway, make sure you replace every occurence with it's value when build the project, rather than make a local for it (let alone global). No namespace cluttering, no chance of screw it up by modifying a constant and better performance when using them (though former point is almost invalid, by definition).
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

raidho36 wrote:If you plan to have them anyway, make sure you replace every occurence with it's value when build the project, rather than make a local for it (let alone global).
Please don't do that.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

Robin wrote: Please don't do that.
Why is that? From within an IDE, it's going to be a named constant, and what it's on the inside of the game executable is noone's business, it could as well be extensively obfuscated, which I suggest as a feature, too.

Named constant or just magic numbers and strings, both are hard-coded values, so there's no difference in the way you use them but dealing with constants being quite easier. With Lua using magic numbers would result in faster code than using globals, or if you go with locals it wouldn't have to define them in every single source file which would slightly improve the code overall. Plus, as I said, you wouldn't be able to change the constant value during runtime, hence the name, if you do so it's a variable not a constant, and having variable a "constant"* wouldn't make any sense therefore.

* Yes, I know that C and C++ have const keyword that doesn't forbid you from changing its value. But this keyword only gives compiler a hint that you have no intent on changing contents of the variable so it could optimize it somehow, like const char * in function header only says that function won't change that string.
Xgoff
Party member

Post by Xgoff »

raidho36 wrote:Only that Lua doesn't have constants. If you plan to have them anyway, make sure you replace every occurence with it's value when build the project, rather than make a local for it (let alone global). No namespace cluttering, no chance of screw it up by modifying a constant and better performance when using them (though former point is almost invalid, by definition).
i don't think it's a *huge* deal for it to recognize certain identifier patterns ([%u_][%u%d_]* i would guess) and highlight them as constants. sure you can change them but that's at your own peril
Murii
Party member

Post by Murii »

Give us that ide!!I wont code in Love untill i get it!
stanmarshd
Prole

Post by stanmarshd »

Will you be using MonoDevelop for a mac and linux port?
All you need is LÖVE
Mermersk
Party member

Post by Mermersk »

This is very good! When will this be out? Right now i'm using somewhat outdated love/lua-highlighting for notepad++. But this looks much better. Having the ability to port over to html5 is very good feature too :awesome:
TechcoreStudio
Prole

Post by TechcoreStudio »

stanmarshd wrote:Will you be using MonoDevelop for a mac and linux port?
Yeah I was looking into it, I've never used MonoDevlop before. Is it like C# a lot?
TechcoreStudio
Prole

Post by TechcoreStudio »

Mermersk wrote:This is very good! When will this be out? Right now i'm using somewhat outdated love/lua-highlighting for notepad++. But this looks much better. Having the ability to port over to html5 is very good feature too :awesome:
Oh well no worries this is totally up-to-date with Love2D 0.8.0 api for syntax highlighting. And the HTML5 port is something I thought people would like to have, easy conversion to make your game available to the entire world :D.