Underlife (WIP)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Underlife (WIP)

Post by Taehl »

This game is still in development. If there's much interest, I suppose I could prepare an early demo.

Image, a game by Image

Underlife is inspired by and pays homage to two sources: Alessandro Ghignola's Crystal Pixels and the "Secret Worlds" of the original Metroid. It's a simulation in entropic oppression: A microcosm of noise where you may strive to create order, but all your efforts will eventually fade as these untouchable worlds subvert and purge your creations. This game isn't meant to entertain, so much it's intended to evoke emotion.

Gameplay will consist of finding Memories scattered across hundreds of dark, frozen worlds floating forever in an empty cosmos. The player can not merely wander these dark, unfathomable caverns, but will be able to rebuild them in any way they want - whether to help them find Memories or just to try to make the world less meaningless.

(The graphics in these screenshots aren't final, of course. The character, for instance, is just an animation test.)
Last edited by Taehl on Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: Underlife (WIP)

Post by Jasoco »

I like it. I'd love to see a demo. Or even a video of it in action.
Geti
Party member

Post by Geti »

looks good, keen to try it out and see what's going on. Have you done much character design?
Taehl

Post by Taehl »

I've got one little character sketch, but I don't think I'm going to go with it. So no, it's something I still need to work on.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Geti
Party member

Post by Geti »

Ah well, keep us in the loop.
Poke me if you want some sketches done, but I'm sure you want to do it under your own steam.
Taehl

Post by Taehl »

Just thought I'd drop a little update while I was passing through the forum. I've made a simple video of Underlife. You can watch it on YouTube, or you can download a higher-quality .avi here (11.5 MB).
Luiji
Party member

Post by Luiji »

awesome
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Nice!
Chief
Party member

Post by Chief »

Hey! This is cool!
Taehl

Post by Taehl »

Still technically working on this. I've ended up scrapping most of it as I've gotten better with Love and programming in general. Most importantly, I ditched the Box2D physics and made my own, infinitely scaleable physics. Meaning bigger worlds. Potentially infinite.

The game still has the dynamic shadows as shown in previous media, I just turned them off to better show how large this particular map is.
Last edited by Taehl on Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.