EAT IT! Updated: 8/27 - Version P2

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
retrotails
Party member

Re: Eat It!

Post by retrotails »

This is it so far. Video of the coloring uploading now (YouTube is read-only atm)
http://99.30.162.147/static/food/mypaint1.png
http://99.30.162.147/static/food/mypaint2.png
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

That's actually not all that bad. With some tweaking it could be really good for the game. If you're willing to keep at it that is. I really like what you have right now.

Note that I haven't finalized the food list yet. So the ones I have now could change. Also, can you draw mouths? Like disembodied mouths like the one in the image? In multiple stages of being opened with one stage being wide open and the others a sequential closing animation.

Do keep at it because you're a hell of a lot better at drawing. I could never get used to tablets with the pens and even with an iPad and painting software I can't draw well.

Just remember to have a transparent background behind all the drawings so I don't have to do any cutting out. And if every part of the food is on a different layer, even better for animating later. (For instance, each bun, the burger, cheese and lettuce and everything could be separate, or the pepperoni slices, etc..) And don't feel rushed though. I know you're just doing this for fun and I'm not trying to make some sort of deadline. This is all just for the heck of it.

Edit: See OP for new version P2

With all new features. Menus, transitions, effects and two game modes. Classic and 3 Minute Rule. The timed mode will need some tweaking but things are coming together.
raidho36
Party member

Re: EAT IT! Updated: 8/27 - Version P2

Post by raidho36 »

You should have posted the steps it took for you to get that error as well instead of just posting the error. Would have been a little more helpful.
I haven't payed any attention to such details when the error just randomly popped out, so the best I could do is to post an error. Nevetheless,..
There was no reason it should have had a problem in theory.
So what? An error is an error, and if there's any, you should go and check what's wrong instead of telling "it can't be wrong". It took me roughly 30 seconds to trace the problem source in other's source code (search for multiplier list table, then search for changes in game.skill, since the other variable wouldn't cause failure due to preceeding condition). This is why someone just posting you an error backtrace should be sufficient for you to figure out the bug.
maybe I could have worded my post better
This. If it wasn't for that much arrogance I wouldn't word my report in offensive way. But there wouldn't be one in the first place either.
retrotails
Party member

Post by retrotails »

Jasoco wrote: Note that I haven't finalized the food list yet. So the ones I have now could change. Also, can you draw mouths? Like disembodied mouths like the one in the image? In multiple stages of being opened with one stage being wide open and the others a sequential closing animation.
Just remember to have a transparent background behind all the drawings so I don't have to do any cutting out. And if every part of the food is on a different layer, even better for animating later. (For instance, each bun, the burger, cheese and lettuce and everything could be separate, or the pepperoni slices, etc..)
I can probably do the mouth animation. This currently has a transparent background, but keeping the food on different layers sounds hard - I currently have:
-Sketch
-Tints
-Extra stuff (like sesame seeds)
-Shades
-Base color
for the burger, I'd have to do something like (all those layers)*5.
So anyway I guess I'll wait for the final food list to continue. I suggest tacos.
Also here's this.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

retrotails wrote:I can probably do the mouth animation. This currently has a transparent background, but keeping the food on different layers sounds hard - I currently have:
Draw me a taco. I really want to see one. :nyu: You can go ahead and redraw everything I have right now because I most likely won't remove any of them. Well, except I'm not really all that sure about the soda cans. They really should be different. The root beer is redundant. Cola might stay. The original game had a cola can with a straw sticking out, so if you want to try to draw something like that where you can partially see the top and the bendy straw sticking out.

Also, if you want to draw both pickles differently instead of just making the purple one a palette swap. My pickle right now is just a piece of clipart I found on the Google because I hadn't drawn it back then. (Actually, as a kid I thought it was Eggplant. I mean, do purple pickles really even exist?)

Oh, and a Milkshake. I never implemented a milkshake. I was so proud of my beer mug and soda cans. (Though in the original game the beer is root beer.) Also, there's both "Cola" and "Soda pop" in the original game and I am not sure what the difference between them is. They even have different calorie counts which is just confusing. So I'll probably just keep one.

So basically, the beer mug might just be renamed root beer (The appearance doesn't have to change) and tacos will be added.

Maybe you could also draw the mouth with different expressions like happy or sad for when he wins and loses. And if possible, a turning around animation. Right now I just change the sprites X scale from -1 to 1 but having an actual rotation might be interesting.

One last thing, drawing the food as separate layers isn't important. They can be self contained since it's easier for me to split them up and put them on the sheet, but alternatively and at some point after the fact, you could just draw separate pieces of food remnants that I can use as "particles" if needed. Of course right now I have no need for such things but I keep imagining it in my head.
retrotails
Party member

Post by retrotails »

Been a bit busy. But here is a taco.

If there are any discrepancies between this and your ideal taco, please point them out.
Edit:
Before I continue, does this very rough animation look good enough?
Attachments
edit - cleaned up
edit - cleaned up
taco.png (145.97 KiB) Viewed 3011 times
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

I dunno, this still doesn't exactly looks like the poster art.

I think the key is havng photorealistic graphics with going hard on overbright, contrast and vibrant colors (which are then desaturated, but that's just old poster effect).
retrotails
Party member

Post by retrotails »

raidho36 wrote:I dunno, this still doesn't exactly looks like the poster art.

I think the key is havng photorealistic graphics with going hard on overbright, contrast and vibrant colors (which are then desaturated, but that's just old poster effect).
It's the best I could do. Most of the colors were sampled from a (better normalized) picture of the art.
Here's everything so far.
http://99.30.162.147/static/food/scaled/
I like how the taco came out but the rest is pretty meh. I can redraw it (also higher res) if you really want.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I really like what you have so far. But I won't know exactly how well it works until I test it in game in place of what I have now.

Which foods do you have so far? Can I get a rough PNG with everything laid out that I can crop and scale and do a little test? I'd be able to offer advice from there. Or the rough layered image would be fine. But I don't know if it's a format that PhotoShop will open. So a PNG would be better. Drawing everything as big as possible allows me to work with them better since I can scale down. (And the bigger the images are, the higher resolution the game can run.)
I see your link. I really like the cheeseburger, hotdog, ice cream and taco. They look really nice. The only problem, at least with the PNGs on that page is that they seem to have a pixelly edge going for them. Are they scaled up? Oh, and the pickle looks skinny. Maybe a little fatter? And the fries look off for some reason. Maybe they're less potato sticks and more cubes mushed together. And they look a bit skinny too. The pickle and fries could be "fattened" a bit and they'd be fine. Oh my, I'm all complaint-y today. Sorry. :rofl: Edit: Oh, and can you put some sesame seeds on the bun? Or make them stand out better.

As for the mouth, Really really nice. Maybe there could be one more frame where it's open wider for the "anticipation" frame.

I'm going to try putting these prototypes into the game in place of their counterparts and see how they look in action..

Thanks for what you're doing so far.

@raidho36: It doesn't need to look exactly like the poster art. I just wanted it to have a painted feel to it. Which is what it has right now.

Video incoming as soon as it encodes and uploads...

Edit: Video is still processing, but so far it looks really awesome...

(LOL, the video ID has the word "SMACk" in it. Actually, it says "SMACkMax". Wow. Poor Max.)

The video looks best at full resolution so if anyone wanders in here too early, it might not be done completely.

I really love how it looks. You've done an amazing thing. When all of it is finished it will look so nice. I like that you put the images up as 512x512. It makes me think about changing my sprite sheet size. Can't wait to see the mouth all colored in. Or the pizza! BTW, don't forget it also needs a normal hamburger. (The remaining foods that haven't been done yet are Mug of beer (A delicious brew in a fancy glass mug), Hamburger (A cheeseburger without the cheese), pizza (Pepperoni makes it what it is) and a cup of soda. (Can't forget the straw. I guess the cup can either be some generic stripe design or have the word "Cola" on it or something.)

The detail makes me want to rethink some of the interface to make the food stand out more. Especially in the How To Play screen. Also a much better title screen.
retrotails
Party member

Post by retrotails »

Thanks for the kind words, makes me consider actually drawing again.
All of the objects were scaled but did not originally fit in a 256x256 bounding box. They were all quite different sizes, and it's important they fill the bounding box so you know how to eat/avoid things, so I scaled all of them and rotated some like the hotdog. It's only about 20-30 min work to draw a food item, so perhaps I can redraw *everything* to be larger than 512x512. I should have done it to begin with, and I don't really like how most of them turned out anyway.

I see now how your mouth 'anticipates,' unlike the constantly going mouth in the 2600 version, I can add maybe some extra frames, also maybe a turning animation. Don't expect the mouth to look as good as the rest - the animation may look decent now but keeping it consistent during coloring is a bitch, plus I have about 0 animation experience.