Proto-RTS

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Geti
Party member

Re: Proto-RTS

Post by Geti »

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPDATE
its 143 am, so i'll be brief and incoherent.
basically, I'm happy, cause I've got it to the point where your dudes run around the map screaming (imaginarily) while they bash down trees with superhuman strength and then sprint back to your base to build a house or 6. They rape the lands forests most of the time, especially in areas with no actual forests but only plains trees.
I'll tone it down later and implement the turns system so you can have all kinds of fun playing with timescaling, but for now enjoy the rampant little bastards.

EDIT: anyone who wants to get a .gif capture of this or something, I'd appreciated it for the OP
Fourex
Citizen

Post by Fourex »

It's fun to watch them scurry around. You should give each team a different color so it's easier to see who is doing what.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Didn't have the time to look at this until today.

It is funny seeying these little men take down all the trees for making houses.

It is also kind of ... sad. Poor trees. Will the "forest" faction get angry about trees being cut down, or will they also use them as material?

Also, is this the speed at which the game will be played, or just a demo?
When I write def I mean function.
Geti
Party member

Post by Geti »

kikito wrote:It is also kind of ... sad. Poor trees. Will the "forest" faction get angry about trees being cut down, or will they also use them as material? Also, is this the speed at which the game will be played, or just a demo?
Just a demo. The one I'm about to upload has a timescaling feature. Yes, the forest people will see the damage of trees as a travesty, and they will be able to gather wood without harming trees. they're also only going to be able to build where there are trees, unlike everyone else, so they'll have good reason to defend them.
Will get actual motives and such working soon.
1 and 2 for timescaling.
http://drop.io/tr0fk4d for those that cant wait.

I NEED SOME DATA
    GPU make and model
    amount of RAM (shouldn't be an issue)
    average FPS when over terrain
    maximum timescale before you get desync messages
    amount of units
    average initiation success (getting to a point with houses and farms without all dying, can be estimated)
If anyone wants to have a look at why the units sometimes dont vanish, that would be nice.
Last edited by Geti on Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geti
Party member

Post by Geti »

double post as i thought this was funny:
ZevN47 wrote:Geti your game looks like minecraft and fallout1 had a baby
Geti
Party member

Post by Geti »

Just noticed the OP shot was down, so I got another one. for some reason, tinypic doesnt like my screenshots :( so I'm using crappy imagescack, but it'll get the job done for now.
Current dev version has improvements, but currently the AI kind of fails at surviving, so no upload until that's fixed.
Geti
Party member

Post by Geti »

Right, so I've really buggered the AI and I'm pretty lost. If someone could have a look over the AI updates in scripts/units/update.lua and scripts/team/update.lua, that would be awesome. small map for testing purposes.
Attachments
protortsBROKEN.love
still runs and all, but the AI sucks at surviving.
(89.38 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
StoneCrow
Party member

Post by StoneCrow »

Hey geti,
i didnt realise you rocked here aswell as datarealms

this project looks just beautiful
reminds me a little of the old original populous game
that game was amazing

any updates on this project?
Dull but sincere filler.
Geti
Party member

Post by Geti »

Sadly, still broken. I'm going to have to rework the job system, which I've been procrastinating. I've got quite a bit of free time this weekend though, so it might happen then. A friend has just written some ambient pieces for this that'll flesh out the download a little :P
I've also got a new artist doing some pixel art when I don't have time to, and some concepts, and I've learned quite a bit from this ludumdare (so much I'm considering completely redoing the current tile engine to make it THAT much simpler to do AI, and probably be more optimised (currently the world is stored in a 1D array, displayed in isometric pseudo3D, and has a somewhat broken neighbouring system. read that again), but most of all I just want to get the little guys running around doing what they're meant to. it'd be nice to have a proper movement system than a bruteforced tile insertion too (not to mention a menu).

So yeah, there's a lot to do <_<
Geti
Party member

Post by Geti »

UPDATE HUGE UPDATE OH GOD THE AI WORKS NOW AND NOW THERE'S INPUT SCREENSHOT OR WHATEVER COMING TOMORROW- DONE
came back to this, finally, haven't touched the sprites (still need to include rynee's work) but hell it's good to have an input system. Might do more tomorrow, I want some feedback though.

UPDATED OP
REPACKAGED AS A .RAR
FIXED A README TYPO
> V0.8b :D