Po2 Problem

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
davisdude
Party member

Po2 Problem

Post by davisdude »

I know that older computers cannot handle non po2 pictures (2*2, 4*4, 32*32, etc.), but I have two questions:
Can the images be, say, 32*64?
And can they support drawing other things in non po2 ways (like love.graphics.rectangle)? What is the performance like with those?
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
retrotails
Party member

Re: Po2 Problem

Post by retrotails »

davisdude wrote:I know that older computers cannot handle non po2 pictures (2*2, 4*4, 32*32, etc.), but I have two questions:
Can the images be, say, 32*64?
And can they support drawing other things in non po2 ways (like love.graphics.rectangle)? What is the performance like with those?
32x64 should always be doable, and everything that's not an image can always be any size and non Po2 sizes should not affect their speed (though they might be slightly slower if they cover more of the screen but that's a different thing)
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

LÖVE automatically pads images that ar non Po2 on older cards.
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

Not to mention that Po2-affected cards are by now really old, odds of encountering such are minimum.
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

Okay. Glad that's solved. :P
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

raidho36 wrote:Not to mention that Po2-affected cards are by now really old, odds of encountering such are minimum.
Yeah, but you'd think that about canvases and we still get people complaining about them.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Jasoco wrote:
raidho36 wrote:Not to mention that Po2-affected cards are by now really old, odds of encountering such are minimum.
Yeah, but you'd think that about canvases and we still get people complaining about them.
because of the crappy drivers!