Your Top 5 Best Videogames Of All Time

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
veethree
Inner party member

Re: Your Top 5 Best Videogames Of All Time

Post by veethree »

I don't like cats.

To make this post not completely off topic, I recently played "bioshock infinite" and i'd definitely put that somewhere on my top 5 list. Perhaps somewhere between 3 and 4.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Play the DLC for bioshock infinite, it made me cry cuz of the beautiful city (hardcore bioshock fan).
NightKawata
Party member

Post by NightKawata »

i have a new list

1. bubsy 3D
2. et
3. big rigs: over the road racing
4. sonic 06
5. plumbers don't wear ties

honorable mention:
*superman 64
"I view Python for game usage about the same as going fishing with a stick of dynamite. It will do the job but it's big, noisy, you'll probably get soaking wet and you've still got to get the damn fish out of the water." -taylor
MadByte
Party member

Post by MadByte »

NightKawata wrote:i have a new list

1. bubsy 3D
2. et
4. sonic 06

honorable mention:
*superman 64
haha :D yeah, beeest games ever made ...
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

NightKawata wrote:i have a new list

1. bubsy 3D
2. et
4. sonic 06

honorable mention:
*superman 64
I've never heard of Big Rigs, I might check it out :)

I'm also looking forward to the AVGN movie, I've heard he's finally going to review ET :) Should be good.
szmol96
Citizen

Post by szmol96 »

1. Cave Story and Cave Story+
2. MegaMan X series
3. Jazz Jackrabbit 2: TSF with Plus patch
4. Super Smash Bros series
5. Unreal Tournament 2004
All your code are belong to us.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

I have so many good memories of Cave Story... Beating the game, with a little feeling that some things just weren't quite right... Only to realize there's so much more to see and do :neko: Truly a genius game, I can hardly believe it was made by a single guy.
szmol96
Citizen

Post by szmol96 »

Yeah, it is really awesome and I love the music of CS+. By the way, did you defeat Ballos too?
All your code are belong to us.
Ekamu
Party member

Post by Ekamu »

It was made by one guy yes, but it took an incredible long amount of time, effort and passion. It almost destroyed him in the process but he strived for his quest to make one of the cutest metrod-vania ever!
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_Story)
Daisuke Amaya developed Cave Story in his free time over the course of five years. He began the project when he was in college and continued working on it after getting a job as a software developer
Here are some quotes from Kotaku (http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/02/cave-s ... -for-cute/)
In 1998 Amaya began his quest for cute.

“I lacked the necessary technical ability [to make Cave Story],” Amaya says.

“I put the project on hold for three months, during which I made a game called Ika-chan (“Little Squid”). I made this game for the purpose of better equipping myself with game-programming technical know-how.”

After completing a range of programming body-building exercises like the development of a music engine and a mini game called Azarashi (“Seal”), Amaya took another six months making another music engine and a composition editor.

“I went to school to study computer programming so that I could someday make video games, though I soon realised that even if I joined a game company I might not be able to make the sorts of games I wanted to make,” Amaya says.
“Whenever I try to make a very specific thing, I always end up making something else. No matter how detailed a plan I draw up, I almost never end up producing something that sticks to that plan.

“I think that making games is hard, period.”

Making a game on your own in an environment with little support can be exhausting. Amaya plugged away at his game over the course of five years, never giving up on it. He was on his quest for cute; he was not going to stop until the cute was captured.
Like Amaya put it: “...making games is hard, period.”. He was assured this was the last game he would ever make. At some points he really felt frustrated.

“Maybe I worked so hard to finish the game because I was so convinced ‘This is certainly the last game I will ever make’. And then even after the game was finished and released, I had to fix bugs. So that whole time I was constantly annoyed.”

But the deciding factor here was he never gave up!

however regardless of your efforts, you will always have haters:
(http://www.destructoid.com/why-cave-sto ... 9133.phtml) (<<--really funny article!)

Anyway just not to side track this thread too much, I would update my list with number one indie game being Cave Story as well.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

szmol96 wrote:Yeah, it is really awesome and I love the music of CS+. By the way, did you defeat Ballos too?
Of course :) You haven't really beaten the game until you've experienced everything.