SDL2.0 problem on ubuntu 12.04LTS

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Da Vinci
Prole

SDL2.0 problem on ubuntu 12.04LTS

Post by Da Vinci »

Hey guys, I'm just strating to lear about game creation and about LOVE as well. Me and my time of beginners are trying to make our frist game, and we choose LOVE as our engine to work.
We haven't big problems to setup LOVE on Windows, but we're having some trouble with it Ubuntu. And where we go:

I use Ubuntu 12.04 LST version and I just can't install SDL 2.0. Without it I can't even install LOVE and we're having a really hard time to do that. I downloaded the "SDL-2.0.1-8054.tar.gz", I unzipped it somewhere in /home/[my_user], wente there and give "./configure", "make" and "make install", and it sound as it worked. But when a do "sdl-config --version" it return me "1.2.14" :ehem: :x

So I'm really lost right now, someone know what shall I do? :cry:
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: SDL2.0 problem on ubuntu 12.04LTS

Post by slime »

It's sdl2-config for SDL 2, I believe.
Da Vinci
Prole

Post by Da Vinci »

........ I'm feeling dumb right now kkkk.
Well, a did "sdl2-config --version" and it gave me "2.0.1". However when a make "./configure" in love it return me "configure: error: LÖVE needs "luajit", please install "luajit" with development files and try again", then a did "apt-get install luajit" and it gave me "luajit is already the last version".

I also downloaded "liblove_0.9.0_amd64.deb" when I try to install it, it return me "Dependency is not satisfiable: libsdl2(>= 2.0.1)" but this stuff isn't alreay installed?!
Also downloaded "love_0.9.0_amd64.deb" and "love-dbg_0.9.0_amd64.deb", both return me "Dependency is not satisfiable: liblove(=0.9.0)", well, this make sense, love isn't installed yet...
BozoDel
Party member

Post by BozoDel »

BRBR HUEHUEHUE \o/

Why are you guys building from source instead of using bartbes' repo?
Da Vinci
Prole

Post by Da Vinci »

BozoDel wrote:BRBR HUEHUEHUE \o/

Why are you guys building from source instead of using bartbes' repo?
kkkkk meu inglês é tão ruim assim? Sei que é difícil mas acredite, eu não usei o translator kkkk :cry:

But let's respect the main forum's language and continue in english ^^
Well, I just started to use ubuntu a few months ago, so I'm noob on it as well kkkk, sorry.
When you say to use bartbes you're talking about this? https://launchpad.net/~bartbes/+archive/love-stable

Look that, I did "add-apt-repository ppa:bartbes/love-stable" and update and upgrade. I stiil can't find love on the dashboard but typing "love" on terminal, it open.
So I donwloaded this game to make a teste "http://tangramgames.dk/games/mrrescue/" and I received the following error:

main.lua:65: attempet to call field 'setDefaultlmageFilder" (a nil value)
Traceback
main.lua:65 in function 'load'
main.lua:204: in function <main.lua:200>
[C]: in function 'xpcall'

And yes, I have lua intalled. The command " lua -v" returns
"Lua 5.2.0 Copyright (C) 1994-2011 Lua.org, PUC-Rio"

Thanks for help.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Mr. Rescue hasn't been updated to support LÖVE 0.9.0 yet, I guess (that function was renamed to love.graphics.setDefaultFilter).
BozoDel
Party member

Post by BozoDel »

Da Vinci wrote:kkkkk meu inglês é tão ruim assim? Sei que é difícil mas acredite, eu não usei o translator kkkk :cry:
Your English is fine, it's your laughter that shows it ;)
Da Vinci wrote:When you say to use bartbes you're talking about this? https://launchpad.net/~bartbes/+archive/love-stable

Look that, I did "add-apt-repository ppa:bartbes/love-stable" and update and upgrade. I stiil can't find love on the dashboard but typing "love" on terminal, it open.
Yes, that's the one. You say that it works when you type "love", so I'm assuming you also did "apt-get install love". It looks like you've installed it correctly. But the love binary doesn't do anything on its own, so it would be silly to add it to the dashboard, that's why it's not there.
slime wrote:Mr. Rescue hasn't been updated to support LÖVE 0.9.0 yet
Hmyeah, LÖVE was very recently upgraded from 0.8.0 to 0.9.0, so a lot of things are still not working with the latest version (which is the one you got from bartbes' repo). So, if you absolutely need to run some 0.8.0 games, you have two options:
- Downloading a Windows .exe of that game and running it under WINE. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
- Building 0.8.0 from source. I know you're having a hard time building 0.9.0, but 0.8.0 might be easier. A lot of things have changed from 0.8.0 to 0.9.0, and the wiki might not be totally up to date too. I'm running a Mint release which is based on the Ubuntu release you're using, and I have 0.8.0 working right beside 0.9.0. One doesn't interfere with the other.
Da Vinci
Prole

Post by Da Vinci »

BozoDel wrote:
slime wrote:Mr. Rescue hasn't been updated to support LÖVE 0.9.0 yet
Hmyeah, LÖVE was very recently upgraded from 0.8.0 to 0.9.0, so a lot of things are still not working with the latest version (which is the one you got from bartbes' repo). So, if you absolutely need to run some 0.8.0 games, you have two options:
- Downloading a Windows .exe of that game and running it under WINE. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
- Building 0.8.0 from source. I know you're having a hard time building 0.9.0, but 0.8.0 might be easier. A lot of things have changed from 0.8.0 to 0.9.0, and the wiki might not be totally up to date too. I'm running a Mint release which is based on the Ubuntu release you're using, and I have 0.8.0 working right beside 0.9.0. One doesn't interfere with the other.
That's a big problem for us =/ We don't know the engine so we'll need so much the wiki and if there's a lot of different things.... It's gonna bring us some trouble. Do you suggest me to keep learning the 0.9.0 and get used with the changes or get back to 0.8.0?

Hey, I set it up, finally! The 0.9.0 version, thanks =]. Do you know when you do so many things to try to fix a problem that in the end you don't know what really fixed it? That's my case hahahaha.
BozoDel
Party member

Post by BozoDel »

Da Vinci wrote:Hey, I set it up, finally! The 0.9.0 version, thanks =].
You're welcome! I think that's the right choice.
Da Vinci wrote:Do you know when you do so many things to try to fix a problem that in the end you don't know what really fixed it? That's my case hahahaha.
Oh, that one is a classic, ohoihoihoi :crazy:

Anyway, I don't know how experienced you are with programming/game development/Lua, so I'll just give you links to some tutorials that I found very useful.

BlackBulletIV's Lua tutorials are very straightforward, but they require you to know the basics of programming. Lua hasn't changed, so no compatibility issues there.

kikito's tile tutorial deals with basic programming logic, Lua and graphics. There may be a few incompatibilities, but nothing you can't deal with. It's probably just the "drawq" function that was merged with "draw".

headchant's tutorial teaches you about the three main LÖVE functions (load, update and draw), movement, and some physics and collision. Looks like it's still compatible with the latest version.

Someone in the forums also suggested this video series about math for game development. I just started watching it, and it seems very noob oriented, but it has some tips that regular Joes like me would never think of.

Best of luck on your projects!
Da Vinci
Prole

Post by Da Vinci »

That's a couple of useful things for us, thank you a lot.
About me knowledge about programming... well I'm used with C programming, I use it all the time in my university course, but the only contact I had until now with game programing was with a little project for a discipline made in Allegro 4 (that's horrible by the way).

I don't know lua but I'm learning and it's looks familiar 'cause it is next to C, pascal... So me and my friends have a long road to walk, and it starts here.
Thank you again.

I guess the topic's purpose is already done.